? re power conditioner watt rating

R

RLMe36

Audioholic Intern
I currently have a powervar 12amp ac power conditioner unit that will cover 1440watts according to the mfg.

The below info is what I could find either on the back of the units or in the instructions.

My question is, I have a denon rec with a 7amp rating (852watts), a rotel amp that is drives the front channels with a 4.5amp (550watts) rating and a sub with 3.33 (400watts) amp rating. If I plug all of these into this conditioner will it blow its internal fuse or breaker? or is more along the lines if I drive the system really hard it will approach these max amp limits?

Rob

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It is feasible that with your system driven at full power (deafening) that you can blow a fuse. But, it is very, VERY unlikely. Since your receiver actually isn't going to run all channels at once, and you likely aren't using all your channels of amplification if you have a separate amp, then odds are very good that you will be lucky to see 800-900 watts of current come through the system.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Do your math

852watts + 550watts + 400 watts = 1802.

Your power conditioner unit is able to handle only 1440 watts.

If you were powering a computer, monitor and laser printer that totalled 1802 watts, your power conditioner would NOT be able to handle the load.

Why is this comparison important? Simple. Most computer equipment items have a constant power demand.

But most audio equipment has a variable power demand. (we will ignore Class A amps)

When are you going to be actually pulling all 1802 potential watts of power?

Dynamic passages at peak volume levels.

I say give it a shot, and see what happens. I doubt you will actually ever hit the full draw of every piece of equipment at the same instant in time, and if you do, it will only pop the internal circuit breaker of the power conditioner. An internal circuit breaker that should be a resettable circuit breaker!

If you pop the circuit breaker, you will know what you will need to do... get a bigger power conditioner.

PS. There could be an issue when you power up all three pieces of equipment... many electronic items have capacitors that leak power over time and when they are powered up after an extended down time, there is a big drain of power. To avoid that huge instantenous demand, start each item a few seconds apart.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
sjdgpt said:
Do your math

852watts + 550watts + 400 watts = 1802.

Your power conditioner unit is able to handle only 1440 watts.
But that's at full load on all components. Remember he has a separate amp for the two front speakers. So the receiver will never draw close to full power no matter what. And then the volume has to be at ear bleed levels too.

R

RLMe36

Audioholic Intern
Mudcat said:
But that's at full load on all components. Remember he has a separate amp for the two front speakers. So the receiver will never draw close to full power no matter what. And then the volume has to be at ear bleed levels too.

Thanks, I'll plug it all in and see what happens. Worst case is I buy another powervar just for the sub and use a different circuit.

rlm

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Yep, I know.

Sometimes, the fingers just type faster than the brain can think, other days, the brain is engaged and the fingers don't keep up.

Just forgot to mention that is was extremely doubtful he would have all components pulling max power all at the same time. It is possible, but I would hate to be his ears.

Mudcat said:

R

RLMe36

Audioholic Intern
sjdgpt said:
Yep, I know.

Sometimes, the fingers just type faster than the brain can think, other days, the brain is engaged and the fingers don't keep up.

Just forgot to mention that is was extremely doubtful he would have all components pulling max power all at the same time. It is possible, but I would hate to be his ears.

I am just closing the loop as they say, to let the proverbal you know that I didnt trip the breaker and the Powervar appears to work great. I opened the box of this thing and the only way to describe the transformer is that it looks like a fruit cake you would get for the holidays its that big.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis