RBH Sound Wireless and Beryllium Headphones Set New Industry Benchmark

T

Tao1

Audioholic
I have a question about weight. I currently have a pair of V-Moda M100s. I love how they sound, but I feel like they're too heavy sometimes. I wear my headphones for long stretches of time for both music listening and teleconferencing (OT: the V-Moda Boom Pro mic is awesome). Would anyone happen to know if the HP-2s would be more comfortable? The M-100s are about 280g while the HP-2s are around 230g. I'm thinking they would be lighter, but not really "game-changing."
This probably doesn't help since I haven't worn a pair of M100s, but I can listen to them for hours with no problems. I have a big head (problems finding hats, since 'normal' sizes don't fit, etc) and I haven't had any issue with 'clamping', although Gene says he does.

I guess it really can be personal preference. RBH tries to control the user experience by having RBH approved retailers, so you could look for one in your area and see if they can let you give a pair of HP-2s a try.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I have a question about weight. I currently have a pair of V-Moda M100s. I love how they sound, but I feel like they're too heavy sometimes. I wear my headphones for long stretches of time for both music listening and teleconferencing (OT: the V-Moda Boom Pro mic is awesome). Would anyone happen to know if the HP-2s would be more comfortable? The M-100s are about 280g while the HP-2s are around 230g. I'm thinking they would be lighter, but not really "game-changing."
The HP-2s are pretty light, although only about 2oz lighter than the V-Modas. As far as general comfort, I have a fairly large head (size 7-5/8) and I've experienced none of the head-clamping sensation I get from a lot of headphones.

BTW, you got tweaked my curiosity and I bought a V-Mota boom mic and yes it works well with the HP-2s and it's pretty darned cool. My LG G4 smartphone isn't the best showcase for good cans but caller voices were extraordinarily clear, and when asked, my friends commented that my voice came through very-very clear. I did not try them in a noisy environment. The V-Moda boom mic also feels like it's of higher quality than the inline that came with the RBH. That's just my impression.

I

itlnstln

Enthusiast
Thanks for your input, Tao1 and sholling. I went ahead and got a pair to try out as I don't have a reseller near me (that carries the HP-2s, anyway). I'll report back after a few days of use.

K

Keith112233

Audiophyte
I only just joined and this is my first post. I also bought the RBH headphones largely on the strength of Genes review. I don't play loud music or use them more than an hour a day. I mainly listen to jazz and rock and anything in between and play some computer games while I do. The headphones started to intermittently sound static-y but only in the right ear. It is now pretty clear to me that there is something wrong with the pair I have unfortunately. But more disappointing than that, the other day I set the headphones down on top of my desktop computer which sits on the floor. The headphones slipped off while I was reaching for them down about 1.75 feet to the floor and the right metal post that slides in and out of the sleeve snapped in half. Now the right ear does not fit at all unless I have the post all the way in at its shortest point. So they are very uncomfortable now and soon will be in the trash. I am sorry but wish I never bought them.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I only just joined and this is my first post. I also bought the RBH headphones largely on the strength of Genes review. I don't play loud music or use them more than an hour a day. I mainly listen to jazz and rock and anything in between and play some computer games while I do. The headphones started to intermittently sound static-y but only in the right ear. It is now pretty clear to me that there is something wrong with the pair I have unfortunately. But more disappointing than that, the other day I set the headphones down on top of my desktop computer which sits on the floor. The headphones slipped off while I was reaching for them down about 1.75 feet to the floor and the right metal post that slides in and out of the sleeve snapped in half. Now the right ear does not fit at all unless I have the post all the way in at its shortest point. So they are very uncomfortable now and soon will be in the trash. I am sorry but wish I never bought them.
I would suggest calling RBH as I am sure they will be willing to work something out with you. I still use my HP-2s on my digital piano with great results. The only major gripe I had was the clamping strength was too strong but you can bend them out if its a problem for you and I believe RBH is working on a running change to address it. Brent Butterworth also gave these headphones very high marks and I haven't seen any negative pro reviews on them yet. So, IMO it's worth trying to salvage them rather than trashing them.

K

Keith112233

Audiophyte
Well I probably should but I just haven't had the time but I will see if I can get through to them this week. I will get back and update thread if I am able to.
RE-reading my post it seems I never took any time to report on the sound while they were *working* normally, and in retrospect that is a bit unfair as I liked them alot. I was really impressed with the lower end. It was really tight and present and Soooo much better than my older steel series wireless headphones. The rest of the spectrum is just as described by the reviews here, really good and well worth the money.

K

Keith112233

Audiophyte
Just a quick followup. Gene that was great advice. I spoke with Brian at customer support let him know what all had transpired and he is sending a new pair out asap and a label to retrieve the pair I have. For anyone interested in RBH that is real customer support. As a veterinarian I know good customer support when I see it. I would never have a concern about dealing with them again. And a good segway, I had been emailing back and forth with Brian already (duh I should have mentioned the headphone problem then) about the Status 8's. When I read a review that these were Gene's main speakers I had to look into them and I am considering getting a pair on the strength of his review, we are having a new home built and are going to need new equipment to fill it. Anyway, what I found out about that Status 8's was that you can have them painted with automotive paint, incase anyone is interested, as I am. Thanks again to Gene and this forum.

K

Keith112233

Audiophyte
So a follow up to my original post. As I said RBH was very quick to send out a new headphone to me and I was quite pleased overall with their customer support. I am a veterinarian and I use the phones at my desk at night for 1-3 hours several times a week. The new phones have sounded great all these past weeks until today when I came home and took them out of their protective case and plugged in the cable and suddenly only sound out of the left ear. WE plugged in several other pairs of headphones using the same cable and connector into the headphone amp and they both played in stereo but the new RBH only plays in mono now. I guess I will have to call customer support for a second time tomorrow and hope they will honor this new problem as well. To be honest, this is a real drag. They sound great but in the reliability category not so much I guess. Sorry, but I cant recommend these to anyone at this point.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I just got a pair of HP-2s. I like them a lot. They have the most bass of any pair of cans I've owned. I'm not sure if it was exaggerated or not, didn't seem like it when listening to symphonic music. The mids and highs are really clear. These are my favorite headphones now.

Jim

K

Keith112233

Audiophyte
Another followup-called RBH again this time about the loss of sound in the right ear and they once again provided great customer care and are sending out another pair asap. I have two pair we are sending back to them now and so you certainly can not complain about their customer service thats for sure. And once agin the phones do send very good. No complaint there

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I hated my J2 Earbuds for flying, and I fly about 2 times a month now. These are not noise canceling, but I am curious how they might sound on a plane. My earbuds are pretty much worthless

So the bottom line is for me concern two main questions

The RBH Bluetooth vs their wired, how significant a difference in sound quality
How would the be on a plane

I had a chance to hear the bose QC35 and to me the sound quality was terrible, bass overblown and muddy and mids were so so. I am traveling so want to make a decision ASAP as I can get the RBH by Saturday if I can make up my mind

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I hated my J2 Earbuds for flying, and I fly about 2 times a month now. These are not noise canceling, but I am curious how they might sound on a plane. My earbuds are pretty much worthless

So the bottom line is for me concern two main questions

The RBH Bluetooth vs their wired, how significant a difference in sound quality
How would the be on a plane

I had a chance to hear the bose QC35 and to me the sound quality was terrible, bass overblown and muddy and mids were so so. I am traveling so want to make a decision ASAP as I can get the RBH by Saturday if I can make up my mind
Nevermind, I went with the Momentum Wireless 2.0 from Sennheiser when I found an incredible price, so far excellent sound quality. Very detailed w/o overemphasizing the bass like a lot of the headsets I listened too. Noise Cancellation is not as good as the Bose QC35, but it is a marked improvement in SQ IMO. These are my first headsets for when I fly.

Last edited:
K

Keith112233

Audiophyte
So a final followup. Last night at around 7pm I started listening to spotify piano weekly song mix and distinctly in both ears you could hear static treble resonance or what ever you call that. It was terrible, unlistenable, and not nearly as noticeable listening to other music but you could hear the muffle scratchy sound again in both ears in all other channels and cd's. Just like that, same old story. So this is now my third pair from RBH., Their customer support is great. The second pair lost sound in one ear totally so they sent another pair out which has worked really well for several weeks. Well that has come to an abrupt end. I hate to leave a negative review but three pairs in as little as 6 months have all gone bad. I am a 53 year old veterinarian. I do not listen loudly or abuse them in any way. I simply think they are cheaply made and not worth the money, TIME, or frustration. I have already bought a different brand name last night. So that officially ends this story. I have not updated RBh. But I likely will once I get another moment.
Keith

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
So a final followup. Last night at around 7pm I started listening to spotify piano weekly song mix and distinctly in both ears you could hear static treble resonance or what ever you call that. It was terrible, unlistenable, and not nearly as noticeable listening to other music but you could hear the muffle scratchy sound again in both ears in all other channels and cd's. Just like that, same old story. So this is now my third pair from RBH., Their customer support is great. The second pair lost sound in one ear totally so they sent another pair out which has worked really well for several weeks. Well that has come to an abrupt end. I hate to leave a negative review but three pairs in as little as 6 months have all gone bad. I am a 53 year old veterinarian. I do not listen loudly or abuse them in any way. I simply think they are cheaply made and not worth the money, TIME, or frustration. I have already bought a different brand name last night. So that officially ends this story. I have not updated RBh. But I likely will once I get another moment.
Keith
We know, we know...you are a veterinarian...

I am a 52 year old non-veterinarian and I have had the RBH's for 6 months or so now. I abuse the heck out of them in the gym and on my bike trainer. I actually have poured sweat out of them before. Mine have not had a single hiccup so either I am lucky or you are very unlucky....

K

Keith112233

Audiophyte
Fairly insulting post. I could care a less what you know. The phones sent to me *all three* failed in a short period of time. Take it under advisement or not but please keep it respectful. I am also a business owner, a pianist, and getting married. Do you want to comment on any of that or are you just a troller.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Fairly insulting post. I could care a less what you know. The phones sent to me *all three* failed in a short period of time. Take it under advisement or not but please keep it respectful. I am also a business owner, a pianist, and getting married. Do you want to comment on any of that or are you just a troller.
Yes, I am a troller with 10,000+ post and labeled as an Audioholic Overlord which has got to mean something.....:D

K

Keith112233

Audiophyte
And I am a new member who on Gene's advice bought a pair of headphones that unfortunately did not work 3 times!!! I lost a lot of time and effort dealing with it and now I have to deal with you who apparently resents my good intention of posting followups. Did you notice my comments about how good they sounded when working and how fantastic the customer service was at RBH or did you just read the part about my being a VETERINARIAN?. Do us all a favor and MOVE ON! Grow up while you are at it.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
And I am a new member who on Gene's advice bought a pair of headphones that unfortunately did not work 3 times!!! I lost a lot of time and effort dealing with it and now I have to deal with you who apparently resents my good intention of posting followups. Did you notice my comments about how good they sounded when working and how fantastic the customer service was at RBH or did you just read the part about my being a VETERINARIAN?. Do us all a favor and MOVE ON! Grow up while you are at it.
I can't really read so I was just looking for pictures

A

Atis

Audiophyte
From their web page: 3.9-feet (1.2m) High Resolution Cable

Really, high resolution cable?! I thought RBH does not use snake oil....

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I missed that in the description. Mine is definitely danceable. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis