RBH Sound SX-10/R and S-10 Subwoofers Review

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by admin, May 28, 2014.

?

What's the most important metric in a subwoofer? (choose up to 3)

1. Maximum Output and Extension

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Musicality

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  3. Aesthetics

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Physical Footprint

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Value

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. admin Audioholics Robot Staff Member

admin
    RBH Sound continues it's 38 year legacy of excellent sounding speakers with the 10" 350 watt (RMS) SX-10/R subwoofer at $1,300 and the 10" 150 watt (RMS) S-10 subwoofer at $500. Both subs feature their proprietary aluminum cone bass driver with the SX-10/R upgraded to the Status driver found in their $50k/pair flagship speakers. In a culture of mega-watt subsonic subwoofers that overcome modern construction practices, RBH takes a refreshing approach to subwoofer design with these two relatively small subs that add to the music listening experience.

[​IMG]
    When shopping for a sub do you look primarily for maximum output and extension or are you willing to give up a little lower end extension for better musicality and a smaller footprint? Let us know your priorities.

Read our RBH SX-10/R and S-10 Subwoofer Reviews with Measurements

and be sure to watch our Youtube Video Review Too

[video=youtube_share;yOVwHV4lxt8]http://youtu.be/yOVwHV4lxt8[/video]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BoredSysAdmin Audioholic Overlord

BoredSysAdmin
    Is it just me or anyone else is irked to see "Musicality" in poll options? Don't know whatever heck it is.
    Now, "Flat Response" - I do understand

And as for RBH subs - thanks for great review, but imo both of these subs need to quickly migrate to EMP, price reduced, to compete with SB1000/SB2000 likes
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  3. gene Audioholics Master Chief Administrator

gene
    A sub with reasonably flat frequency response and extension out past 100Hz with very low group delay often makes for sub that plays back music very well without sounding muddy or "slow" or worse a one-note wonder.

Performance aside, the aesthetics and finish quality (esp of the SX-10/R) is what makes the RBH subs more appealing than the standard black box you get with SVS. My parents just bought the SX-10/R review sample for their living room system for that very reason over getting an SB-2000.

The RBH S-10 is already offered in the EMP brand as the E-10S with 5 very competent satellite speakers for $649. That is a GREAT Deal!

http://emptek.com/cinema5.php
    gene,
    • Like Like x 2
  4. BoredSysAdmin Audioholic Overlord

BoredSysAdmin
    Lack of coffee might had something to do with my earlier post... Thanks for the explanation Gene.

I could see aesthetics could be important for some, but arguable for the price of SX-10/R one could better looking subs - like several subs with gloss/mirror finish from Rythmic or from Salk's
    I know why would someone want this, but who knows... Your parents for example :)

As for EMP's $650 combo - this is quite solid system and good value for dorms or just smaller rooms indeed
  5. Steve81 Audioholics 5-O

Steve81
    Size/footprint definitely went up a few notches on the priority list for my last subwoofer upgrade, though in my case I wasn't really willing to give up much on output or extension either :D
  6. AcuDefTechGuy Audioholic Slumlord

AcuDefTechGuy
    I love my five RBH SX-1010N subs (MSRP $1,200). :D

[​IMG]

I'm sure the SX-1010N/R (MSRP $2,000) with the Status Acoustics Reference aluminum woofer is even better. But since I couldn't hear the improvement personally, I didn't want to spend the extra money ($800 MSRP x 5 = $4,000 MSRP) on the Reference aluminum woofer upgrade. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ousooner2 Full Audioholic

ousooner2
    ^ Me likey :D
  8. BoredSysAdmin Audioholic Overlord

BoredSysAdmin
    EMP e1010i is definitely very capable sub for very little money, too bad EMP discontinued them :(
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 3db Audioholic Overlord

3db
    Plus one on that point. If one's priorities are musicality, extension, and SPL, there are better subs out there offering better performance and still look really good.
    3db,
  10. hk2000 Audioholic Intern

hk2000
    Thanks for the explanation. I really cannot define or explain musicality, but I know it when I hear it. I have 2 subs that go down to well below 20Hz and if you live in a condo like me and never listen to anything louder than 90db or so, then maximum output is really a non issue.
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  11. AcuDefTechGuy Audioholic Slumlord

AcuDefTechGuy
    I think there are multiple synchronous factors. It's like our senses and perception. We cannot just ignore one as if it does not exist because it is always there.

That is why we would all have different systems even if we all had $1,000,000 to spend. :D

It's not just about output or any one factor. It's the whole package based on our unique individualism. :D
  12. gene Audioholics Master Chief Administrator

gene
    Salk's earliers subs weren't something I'd recommend but now that he paired up with Rythmik that likely has changed.

I can tell you this. I replaced the dual Axiom EP400's at my parents house with the single RBH SX-10/R and their system sounds MUCH better now. Much deeper and cleaner bass, no rattles, and no spontaneous amps turning on in the middle of the night making my parents mistake it for sinkhole activity in their home :)

I really wanted to get dual subs for them again but it wasn't in their budget. But, I'm very happy how this single SX-10/R is playing in their wide open living room and integrating with the rest of their RBH in-wall products. They definitely have the best senior citizen HT System I've seen and heard :)
    gene,
  13. 3db Audioholic Overlord

3db

Right on :) That's both funny and generous of you .
    3db,
  14. ousooner2 Full Audioholic

ousooner2
    Agreed. It definitely is for the money. I can't imagine the performance you'd get in an enclosed, smaller room. Not to mention is incredible looking :D
  15. BoredSysAdmin Audioholic Overlord

BoredSysAdmin
    I don't have to imagine, only to remember. At AH GTG 2012 in EMP small room a single "little" i1010e corner loaded - was extremely impressive during few short movie clip demos
  16. gene Audioholics Master Chief Administrator

gene
    Sadly forum folks dismissed this sub b/c it didn't have a lot of measured output below 30Hz so it was never a big seller. Sometimes we all get a little too caught up in the measurements without actually trying a product real world to see how it really performs.
    gene,
  17. AcuDefTechGuy Audioholic Slumlord

AcuDefTechGuy
    Yeah, what's the saying? Measurements aren't everything? If it sounds good, then it's good? :D

Real world experience. :)
  18. ousooner2 Full Audioholic

ousooner2
    I get some decent output down to 25hz and then it falls off. I'm using 2, but it's closer to a 1,000sqft area (yes, sqft). They sound incredibly musical too, which is something that just does not happen at this price point. I know there are more factors than just the sub that play into that, but I've had the PA-120, Klipsch rw-12d and e1010i all in the same spot...and it's not even a fair fight.

I'd love to have a ton of lower end extension, but that comes at a much higher cost (unless you DIY)
    • Like Like x 1