RBH Sound SI-1010P In-floor or In-Ceiling Subwoofer Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The SI-1010 is one of only a few subwoofers that fill a niche in the market, consumers who want powerful bass but won't accept even the smallest subwoofer. As opposed to sitting in the room, it’s hidden in the floor or ceiling and sound passes through a discrete air vent cover. From an aesthetics perspective, you can’t get much better than completely out of sight. However, the question remaining for an Audioholic is, how does it perform?

And for the DIYer or custom integrator, how does it install? Read on the find out and be sure to check out YouTube Install Video.

Read: RBH Sound SI-1010P In-floor or In-Ceiling Subwoofer Review

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
One important con to keep in mind with a product like this. You can't just do a sub crawl when your house is under construction to know whether the sub is being installed in a location conducive to delivering a reasonably good response at the listening position (wherever that may end up). Given that re-locating an in-ceiling/in-floor subwoofer after the fact would be problematic to say the least, that's not small potatoes.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
One important con to keep in mind with a product like this. You can't just do a sub crawl when your house is under construction to know whether the sub is being installed in a location conducive to delivering a reasonably good response at the listening position (wherever that may end up). Given that re-locating an in-ceiling/in-floor subwoofer after the fact would be problematic to say the least, that's not small potatoes.
So what I'm hearing is that you need about 10 in the ceiling and 10 in the floor to hedge your bet.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
So what I'm hearing is that you need about 10 in the ceiling and 10 in the floor to hedge your bet.
IMHO, a better invisible sub would take advantage of the force-cancelling nature of a dual opposed sub, and build it into a functional piece of furniture like a media shelf.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You don't need a dual opposed driver sub to make that happen, all you need is something which the cabinet is braced heavily enough to make the sub inert. There are a lot of ways to damp the vibrations of a subwoofer enclosure.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, yeah, I love externally powered Subwoofers. :D

Although both the SI-1010 & SI-1010P are externally powered subs, the SI-1010 (non-powered version) is more cost effective for people who already have amps.

The SI-1010 MSRP is $1,228 vs $2,286 of the SI-1010P.

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
There are a lot of ways to damp the vibrations of a subwoofer enclosure.
True enough, but the way I look at it, DO would make sense from a weight/size perspective with a "bookshelf subwoofer". You can't squeeze a 15" driver into a 12"x12"x48" base, but it's feasible to load such an enclosure with a pair of 10" drivers. In terms of weight, the pair of tens may be a little heavier than a single comparable 15" driver, but this would be more than offset by the additional bracing needed to achieve the kind of deadness required for a shelf.

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Audioholics Content Manager
Oh, yeah, I love externally powered Subwoofers. :D

Although both the SI-1010 & SI-1010P are externally powered subs, the SI-1010 (non-powered version) is more cost effective for people who already have amps.

The SI-1010 MSRP is $1,228 vs $2,286 of the SI-1010P.
That's a good point. Even if you don't already have an amp, you could get a cheaper 500w amp. It might not have the same features, like the EQ, ability to save/recall settings, 12v trigger, etc. - but it would bring down the entry price for the sub.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe @ParadigmDawg can comment, I believe he installed one of these in his living room during a remodel....
What would I say? I went from Paradigm Studio 100's and two SVS PB13 Ultras, then got rid of one SVS, then got rid of the Paradigms and went in-ceilings with the SI 1010.

Does it sound as good as my real system, nope but 90% of the time, for listening to music at normal volumes and watching movies below reference level, I am very pleased.

The sub actually impresses me at times. A second one will likely be really, really nice and may just happen at some point. In the meanwhile, I am way more pleased than I ever thought I would be and guest whom don't see or expect a system, are blown away. I get way more comments on how nice it sounds than I did when you could see everything.

Look how clean this is compared to the old system

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What would I say? I went from Paradigm Studio 100's and two SVS PB13 Ultras, then got rid of one SVS, then got rid of the Paradigms and went in-ceilings with the SI 1010.

Does it sound as good as my real system, nope but 90% of the time, for listening to music at normal volumes and watching movies below reference level, I am very pleased.

The sub actually impresses me at times. A second one will likely be really, really nice and may just happen at some point. In the meanwhile, I am way more pleased than I ever thought I would be and guest whom don't see or expect a system, are blown away. I get way more comments on how nice it sounds than I did when you could see everything.

Look how clean this is compared to the old system

Just what you said was what I wanted you to share, especially with your having had better subs before that....

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Just what you said was what I wanted you to share, especially with your having had better subs before that....
Then my work is done here...lol...

I was able to place the sub in my sweet spot it's just 14 ft higher then it was but it's still a good spot for it.

Don't underestimate the difficulty in getting a 75 lb sub up a ladder and across the attic and screwing it in place without dropping it through the Sheetrock. It was not fun.

Here is what you see of it:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis