RBH powered or not powered?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't need 2400 Watts but what about the DSP?
I have tried the EQ/DSP on the RBH SA-500DSP. I end up not using the EQ/DSP on my RBH SA-500DSP Subwoofer amp. I just use Audyssey Dynamic EQ and bypass the SA-500DSP's EQ/DSP.

I think Audyssey's Automatic Subwoofer EQ and Dynamic EQ do a great job.

But for guys who are into speaker measurement and manual EQ, I think the EQ/DSP could be useful for tweaking manually.

I am not into manual EQ/DSP tweaking because I absolutely love what Audyssey Dynamic EQ does for my subwoofer bass.

In my living room, the Denon AVR-X3100 does the EQ, then outputs to the SA-500DSP (EQ/DSP Bypassed), which powers the two (2) SV-1212N subs.

For my HT room, the Denon AVP-A1HDCI does the EQ, then outputs to my ATI AT3005 amp, which powers the five (5) SX-1010 subs.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This is what I think. If you have listened to the RBH speakers and you love the sound, then it makes sense to get the SVT Towers (SV831/SV1212N).

Since my first HT system (NHT SuperZero & SW2P Sub) 25 years ago, I have always preferred the use of an external amps for my subwoofers. It just makes sense to me. I've heard many stories about internal subwoofer amps malfunctioning over the years. So passive subs + external amps is my style.

I also loved the passive Funk 18.0 subwoofers, which I also used external amp to power (ATI AT3005 amp) and Denon Audyssey to EQ the Sub.

I have also used Velodyne passive Subs that were powered by a Dayton/Parts Express Subwoofer amp (Denon Audyssey to EQ).

If you are not buying the RBH SV831, then any subwoofer in this class should work great.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
This is what I think. If you have listened to the RBH speakers and you love the sound, then it makes sense to get the SVT Towers (SV831/SV1212N).

Since my first HT system (NHT SuperZero & SW2P Sub) 25 years ago, I have always preferred the use of an external amps for my subwoofers. It just makes sense to me. I've heard many stories about internal subwoofer amps malfunctioning over the years. So passive subs + external amps is my style.

I also loved the passive Funk 18.0 subwoofers, which I also used external amp to power (ATI AT3005 amp) and Denon Audyssey to EQ the Sub.

I have also used Velodyne passive Subs that were powered by a Dayton/Parts Express Subwoofer amp (Denon Audyssey to EQ).

If you are not buying the RBH SV831, then any subwoofer in this class should work great.
In general I agree about external amps. Some subs will require more eq than audyessey can provide. Many people don't have the patience for the setup is why purchasing preprogrammed DSP amps is more viable. Personally, as mentioned by others, outboard EQ is they way to go as it can do more with a Raw signal than any Auto EQ, which should be ran post setup

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis