RBH powered or not powered?

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Was wondering about the:

SV-1212NR (non powered priced at $3654 CAD)

and the

SV-1212PR (which is powered priced at $7476 CAD)

The price difference is about $3800 and I am assuming that it is only the cost of the extra included amp. So if that's the case, isn't $3800 for an amp a little pricy for a sub? Would it be better to power the sub with an amp that I can find elsewhere - something like a Crown? Or would you say that the powered sub is the better option considering price?

With the powered option if I were to get 2, that's $7600 in amps... Seems a little steep.

OR.... I also really like the Seaton 18 inch subs for a fraction of the price. Awesome looking and a huge woofer. I could probably get 2 for 6000K CAD give or take a few $.

Do you think the RBH would outperform the Seaton?

http://sherpa-group.net/images/uploads/RBH_Sound_MSRP_Jan2617.pdf

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
AFAIK, this is the amp (with custom DSP parameters) that the RBH is using:
http://www.speakerpower.net/store/p27/SP1-2400-HT.html

So yes, that's a pretty big jump in cost IMHO.

RBH and Seaton are different animals (vented vs sealed), but the Seaton's are using a reasonably well proven driver (measurements here), and the F18 system is such that you can buy a single master unit ($2,400 USD) and add up to 3 slave units for $1,200 a pop, so scaling your system up becomes easier.

For a more direct competitor, something like the JTR Captivator 1400 comes to mind (measurements here), which can be purchased in custom finishes.

Last but not least, I'd also suggest contacting Funk Audio, given that they're Canadian and also produce top tier equipment.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you are getting the RBH, I would get the SV-1212NR or SV-1212N.

I love the ability to use external amps for subs because I can use any external amp.

Last edited:
moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
If you are getting the RBH, I would get the SV-1212NR or SV-1212N.

I love the ability to use external amps for subs because I can use any external amp.
But do you think it would economically to my advantage to get an external amp for it? Like I said, the one in the RBH is like $3800 CAD. What other options for amperage is there? Something that can compare to 2400 watts. The only thing I can think of is the crown but no 100% sure.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You could get there with a top end Crown or Lab Gruppen or QSC etc, but didn't realize those SP1-2400 amps were only $900 here in the US either....but that would be minus the custom dsp in any case. Wonder if Speaker Power has a Canadian distributor?

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
AFAIK, this is the amp (with custom DSP parameters) that the RBH is using:
http://www.speakerpower.net/store/p27/SP1-2400-HT.html

So yes, that's a pretty big jump in cost IMHO.

RBH and Seaton are different animals (vented vs sealed), but the Seaton's are using a reasonably well proven driver (measurements here), and the F18 system is such that you can buy a single master unit ($2,400 USD) and add up to 3 slave units for $1,200 a pop, so scaling your system up becomes easier.

For a more direct competitor, something like the JTR Captivator 1400 comes to mind (measurements here), which can be purchased in custom finishes.

Last but not least, I'd also suggest contacting Funk Audio, given that they're Canadian and also produce top tier equipment.
Yea the Seaton is def. more economical. Funk is nice but a little expensive. My thought for the RBH was to potentially add the midrange and tweeter cabinet to the top down the road.. possibly. Or just use the 1212 X2 as standalone subs.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
You could get there with a top end Crown or Lab Gruppen or QSC etc, but didn't realize those SP1-2400 amps were only $900 here in the US either....but that would be minus the custom dsp in any case. Wonder if Speaker Power has a Canadian distributor?
Is the DPS that important in a sub? 900 for the SP1-2400? That's a lot cheaper than the $3800 they are charging with the powered 1212. DSP can't be the only difference.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is the DPS that important in a sub?
Depends but generally having dsp abilities to manage your sub is a good thing. Speaker Power amps can be customized/programmed, not sure how consumer friendly they are....

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Is the DPS that important in a sub? 900 for the SP1-2400? That's a lot cheaper than the $3800 they are charging with the powered 1212. DSP can't be the only difference.
DSP is the brain of the system. It gives RBH the ability to adjust system response, set up custom limiters to prevent damage, etc.

As far as the price differential goes, it is what it is. When you consider that the Seaton F18 master sub comes with a 4kW SpeakerPower amp, and costs only 2,400 USD (about 3,000 CAD), it seems a bit ridiculous. Still, you can't exactly expect RBH to sell it at cost either.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
DSP is the brain of the system. It gives RBH the ability to adjust system response, set up custom limiters to prevent damage, etc.

As far as the price differential goes, it is what it is. When you consider that the Seaton F18 master sub comes with a 4kW SpeakerPower amp, and costs only 2,400 USD (about 3,000 CAD), it seems a bit ridiculous. Still, you can't exactly expect RBH to sell it at cost either.
In terms of performance, the F18 doesn't really become a great value until you start adding slave units.

As for the RBH sub, buying a couple passive versions and running an amp to it wouldn't be that difficult. Get a high-powered 2-channel Crown, Behringer, or QSC amp and set some filters that takes down output below the tuning point. That will save a bundle on the powered versions and should still yield high performance.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Why do you say that?
Because without slave units, the Speaker Power amp has way more power than a single Ultimax 18 driver can use. It is made for a multi-driver system. The UM18 is rated for 1000 watt power handling, not 4 kW.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Because without slave units, the Speaker Power amp has way more power than a single Ultimax 18 driver can use. It is made for a multi-driver system. The UM18 is rated for 1000 watt power handling, not 4 kW.
Ah I see that makes sense.. I would get two anyway :)

I am still thinking that from reading reviews of the Seatons.... it is hard to believe that for an $8000 difference, the powered RBH X2 would be that much better.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ah I see that makes sense.. I would get two anyway :)
With a little bit of elbow grease, you can get a UM18 based system for less here, although they are out of stock until November. The advantage of that system is that each subwoofer can be EQ'd separately.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
With a little bit of elbow grease, you can get a UM18 based system for less here, although they are out of stock until November. The advantage of that system is that each subwoofer can be EQ'd separately.
I would probably just drive to Chicago if I were to get the Seaton and then just pay the duty.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My thought for the RBH was to potentially add the midrange and tweeter cabinet to the top down the road.. possibly. Or just use the 1212 X2 as standalone subs.
I have the SVT Tower (831/1212N). I only use a single 500 watts into 4 ohms amp (SA-500DSP) to power both SV1212N subs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
But do you think it would economically to my advantage to get an external amp for it? Like I said, the one in the RBH is like $3800 CAD. What other options for amperage is there? Something that can compare to 2400 watts. The only thing I can think of is the crown but no 100% sure.
In the US, a $600 Crown XLS2500 can be bridged to produce 2400W. But I don't know about Canada.

The question is, do you need 2400W?

Next question is, do you need the Reference version (SV-1212NR), instead of the standard version (SV-1212N)?

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
In the US, a $600 Crown XLS2500 can be bridged to produce 2400W. But I don't know about Canada.

The question is, do you need 2400W?

Next question is, do you need the Reference version (SV-1212NR), instead of the standard version (SV-1212N)?
I don't need 2400 Watts but what about the DSP?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis