RBH limited vs. signature

D

duff

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I wonder if anyone can comment on the sonic difference between standard RBH Signature fare and their Limited Edition Signature Series for any given model (say... the 1266).

I see the updates include internal acoustic treatments, crossovers, and the drivers.  So what does this do to the sound?  Does it make them substantially better?  A little better?  

Just curious.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Duff;

The Limited Special Edition Series (LSE) of RBH Signature Series product became a reality about 3 years ago when I noticed the similarities of cabinet and driver topologies between their ultra high end Status Acoustics products and their flagship RBH Signature Series products.  I asked if RBH would custom build me a version of the 1266-SE, 661-SE, and 61-SE with upgraded Status drivers and crossovers.  Both them and I were so pleased with the results that they began offering them to the public in limited production with great success.

While the normal Signature stuff is great, the upgrades make them exceptional!

The reasons why:
1) Upgrade to Scan Speak 950000 tweeter (one of the best soft dome tweeters on the market IMO, and many loudspeaker designers agree) Results, less compression.
2) Upgrade to Phase Plug drivers, allow the midranges to play up a little higher in frequency, while also helping to reducing beaming by replacing the dust cap with a phase plug, reducing cone mass, and heat dissipation.  Thus less compression.
3) Crossover upgrades:  Better quality parts include Air Core inductors, low ESR, poly bypass caps, etc.

The very fact that this system remained in my primary reference system for 3 years speaks volumes IMO.  I really enjoyed the very open, uncompressed soundstage and imaging of the LSE stuff, so much so that I still haven't found a better sounding bookshelf speaker to date as the Status Acoustics Decimo's remain in my bedroom system.

As with anything, the user must decide if the improved fidelity is worth the added investiment.  I personally think it is, especially after hearing both side by side, but hey, I am an Audioholic so what can you expect  

Incidentally, I am offering my 1266-LSE's and 1010-SEP for sale at a substantial discount since I upgraded to a new Tsystem.  I would be willing to sell the 1266-LSE separately for $3500/pr, but I only have about a week left to sell before I trade it back to RBH.  

http://www.audioholics.com/cgi-bin....;t=1724

If you are interested, feel free to drop me an email.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>Duff, where are you finding the RBH LSE series for sale?</font>

D

duff

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>The only place I've seen them is Gene's setup for sale here.  I don't know if it is still possible to get them new or not.  

A friend of mine bought a set of 5 RBH Signature speakers (2x 1266SE, 661SE, and 2x 66SE), but when I noticed Gene's were on sale I wondered how much different they really were and if it would have been worth getting those instead.  

So I was just curious.  If there's a chance to make them better... I have to investigate!  
</font>

G

gthomas

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Duff, I talked to Jerrod at RBH yesterday, and he said they were going to start making the SLE again in May or June! &nbsp;Stay tuned!
gthomas</font>

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Interesting. &nbsp;I have owned and currently own the SE and the the 25th anniversary limited special edition. &nbsp;Please see my classified ad here if you have an interest. I still have the LSE 1266 and 661LSE in my home theater. &nbsp;GREAT SPEAKERS.</font>

G

gthomas

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hi Randy, it's Gene,
I can't look at you's because the wife likes dark colors.
gthomas</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>According to their website, they offer over 30 different hardwood veneers. &nbsp;I am sure your wife can live with one &nbsp;
</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>i do have the name of a dealer if you want it-i'll send it by way of email tomorrow.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis