QUICK RECOMMENDATION ON TOWER SPEAKERS < $500/PAIR

C

camimzdc

Audiophyte
Hey guys,

Been a music fanatic for years but finally beginning to care about my quality of sound in my at-home listening experience (i.e. no more illegal downloading and now forking over the money for cd's).

Anyways, step 1 is to upgrade the home audio. I have at most $500 to throw at some tower speakers but am of course open to deals and avoiding name brand rip offs. I listen to everything including hip hop, rock, classical, jazz, blues, etc. I would prefer to not need to buy a sub but smooth/tight deep bass is important in any listening experience so if I need to fork out another $200 in a month or so that's cool. But it would be great if the tower speakers were sufficient. I'll decide on the amp once I've decided on the speakers.

I live in a medium sized 1 bedroom apartment. Really I'm tied between Klipsch who are apparently the seasoned veterans and Fluance who offer a lifetime warranty and are apparently the prodigy rookies.

Yes, I know that every speaker experience depends on each person. I'm just looking for general advice. What's typically good, what's not, what's a waste of money on name brand, what's not, what features are just "for show", which aren't. All that god stuff.

Thanks for any insight. I don't want to blow $500!

Fluance XL7F

Klipsch R24F

Klipsch RF52 II

Onkyo SKF-4800

Polk Tsi400

ELAC Debut F5

Bic America Ventire DV64

JBL Loft 50

Open to learning about others!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Out of your choices I'd go with Elac F5,
But you'd be MUCH better off with Philharmonic AA bookshelves and getting sub later on
http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html
You would NOT require a sub with these bookshelves as they play surprisingly pretty low into bass.

As for opinions on speaker brands:
Really I'm tied between Klipsch who are apparently the seasoned veterans and Fluance who offer a lifetime warranty and are apparently the prodigy rookies.
Both couldn't be farther from truth - Klipsch whom has been recently bought by Vox (aka Audiovox) is in steady race the bottom - squeezing out margins and caring little about else. Vox done same thing many times before, ruining quality brands.
Flatulence on other hand are not a rookies, not really - they are already 16 years old.
I have yet to see or hear anything from this brand worth calling prodigy product at all.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you willing to go used? If so, the PSB Image 6T will outperform everything you have listed.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'd scratch the Onkyo speakers off the list. They look incredibly cheap.

C

camimzdc

Audiophyte
Hey guys, thanks for the response. I don't have anything against referbs (especially a certified) because I've read that a well maintained audio system can last a decade. I would be hesitant to buy used if it wasn't a local sale and I could hear them first.

Interesting insight to the present status of Klipshch. Also, you're right, Fluance is not new to the game however they seem to have just blown up the last few years and all the reviews are going crazy over them (mainly their price/quality ratio).

I'll also add that my only downfall is that I am superficially attached to the tower speakers. I understand that at the same price point a bookshelf speaker should be better because it uses less box material and can focus on driver material, etc. but damn don't towers look pretty.

I guess I'm currently realizing another issue which is that no matter how many good recommendations you guys give me (thank you again!) it seems incredibly hard to find a place to actually hear these before purchase. I live in DC and I swear there still isn't anything better than a Best Buy whose test section is always malfunctioning. Other home theater places are just incredibly high end and don't carry the $250'ish speakers.

Last edited:
C

camimzdc

Audiophyte
Those Boston's look like a pretty good deal. Factory refurbished with free shipping.

C

camimzdc

Audiophyte
Just found some polk audio tsi-500's for $280/pair on craigslist as well as monitor audio rs-6's for $350/pair. Those seem to be great deals price wise and I could actually go listen to them.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I guess I'm currently realizing another issue which is that no matter how many good recommendations you guys give me (thank you again!) it seems incredibly hard to find a place to actually hear these before purchase. I live in DC… and I swear there still isn't anything better than a Best Buy whose test section is always malfunctioning. Other home theater places are just incredibly high end and don't carry the $250'ish speakers.
… you'd be MUCH better off with Philharmonic AA bookshelves and getting sub later on
http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html
You would NOT require a sub with these bookshelves as they play surprisingly pretty low into bass.
You are luckier than you realize, once the snowstorm finishes and you dig out :). The one-man owner, speaker designer & speaker builder of Philharmonic Audio, Dennis Murphy, is by far the best thing that happened to Internet Direct speaker sales. He is located nearby in Bethesda, MD.

His house, where he operates, is better than ANY store selling speakers. Contact him by email (see the address at http://philharmonicaudio.com/order.html) and arrange a visit. You will not be sorry you did that. (I know that sounds like a cliche, but in this case it's true.)

Do not buy anything used until after you've listened to what he can demo.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
$500, I would get some good powered monitors, like these or these. The will have good bass response, maybe not dig quite as deep as towers, but they are very neutral and accurate speakers for the price. They are also self-amplified, so that spares you the expense of buying amplification. They should have good bass response down to about 50 Hz. Add a good sub later to extend that. The bass on typical tower speakers are no match for a subwoofer anyway.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Just found some polk audio tsi-500's for $280/pair on craigslist as well as monitor audio rs-6's for $350/pair. Those seem to be great deals price wise and I could actually go listen to them.
Between those two, the Monitor Audio RS6, the TSi series leaves much to be desired IMO.

C

camimzdc

Audiophyte
So thanks everyone for the continued input on active bookshelf's, etc.

Swerd, you've definitely sparked my interest. I will take your advice and hopefully visit with him this week. If he has $150 bookshelf's that are as good as you say then that's awesome. Plus after a good listening experience with him I'll hopefully be able to better judge other systems on craigslist. I'm just dying to get a home entertainment system as trying to be patient and thorough

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord

Swerd, you've definitely sparked my interest. I will take your advice and hopefully visit with him this week. If he has $150 bookshelf's that are as good as you say then that's awesome. Plus after a good listening experience with him I'll hopefully be able to better judge other systems on craigslist. I'm just dying to get a home entertainment system as trying to be patient and thorough
When you visit, bring some music that you know well.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

May as well hear some of his towers while u are there, even if out of ur price range.

U may suddenly up the budget after that

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I'll also add that my only downfall is that I am superficially attached to the tower speakers... damn don't towers look pretty.
Do you want to spend your $500 on audio or decorations? If you want decorations, get a painting or some kind of art. If you want audio, get the best sounding audio you can get.

For $500 you could probably find a cool looking antique banjo. Can't play the banjo? Doesn't matter. It would look pretty hanging on the wall. Maybe an old violin or trumpet is more your taste. Same thing.

If you want some good speakers, listen to Swerd. Go see Dennis. He is so highly touted, I have spent over $5k on speakers from him without hearing them first. And I gotta tell you, it's the best audio money I've ever spent.

C

camimzdc

Audiophyte
Herbu,

I love your response, that was hilarious. I'm glad to announce I've successfully set up a meeting with Dennis this Sunday. He actually only lives a few miles from my house, I plan to just ride my bike there. haha.

Chances are I'll go with him. Unfortunately he only offers $200 speakers and then $1200, but I'm sure the $200 ones will be fine. In all reality my 1bdrm apartment is quite echoey and sound bleeds to the neighbors so I can't blast music anyways (thus probably don't need tower speakers). I just want full rich sound, not loud flat sound. Also, at $200 I'll have a nice chunk towards an amp which I'm thinking will be costly. His Affordable Accuracy speakers are 84db and 6ohm so I'm thinking the amp will be easily twice as expensive as the speakers (only plan to get a three channel amp in case I want a sub in the future).

Again, thanks to everyone. I'm really looking forward to hear what Dennis has to offer. Even if I can't afford his high end I'm certain they'll make for a great listen.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Herbu,

I love your response, that was hilarious. I'm glad to announce I've successfully set up a meeting with Dennis this Sunday. He actually only lives a few miles from my house, I plan to just ride my bike there. haha.

Chances are I'll go with him. Unfortunately he only offers $200 speakers and then $1200, but I'm sure the $200 ones will be fine. In all reality my 1bdrm apartment is quite echoey and sound bleeds to the neighbors so I can't blast music anyways (thus probably don't need tower speakers). I just want full rich sound, not loud flat sound. Also, at $200 I'll have a nice chunk towards an amp which I'm thinking will be costly. His Affordable Accuracy speakers are 84db and 6ohm so I'm thinking the amp will be easily twice as expensive as the speakers (only plan to get a three channel amp in case I want a sub in the future).

Again, thanks to everyone. I'm really looking forward to hear what Dennis has to offer. Even if I can't afford his high end I'm certain they'll make for a great listen.
What I have read about those 200$ speakers they compete really well vs more expensive speakers, price doesn't tell everything. :) Stereo amp with sub output will be fine if you don't plan to go for surround. I'm sure those speakers sound good without sub but they will benefit from one for sure. Anyways I think its better to get quality bookself speakers with sub than mediocre tower speakers.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
(only plan to get a three channel amp in case I want a sub in the future).
Um, you don't want a "3 channel amp". If you're not at all interested in surround sound I suggest picking up a stereo receiver. Most subwoofers are self powered so you would not need a 3rd channel.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktx8050/onkyo-tx-8050-80watts-x-2ch-network-stereo-receiver/1.html

The Onkyo TX-8050 is a very versatile stereo receiver that does have a subwoofer preout (so you can connect a powered subwoofer).

Otherwise just get a modern home theater receiver in the 200-300 range and just use it for stereo.

C

camimzdc

Audiophyte
I don't plan to do surround sound, at least not in the next 3+ years. For now it's just two speakers and maybe a sub.

Is an amp manufactured at 80W for 8ohm speakers (I see that it's 6ohm capable but apparently rated at 8) good enough with 6ohm speakers that only have 84db sensitivity? From what I understand both the 6ohm resistance and the low sensitivity means they need an amp double strong to fully power those speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis