Quick question: speaker power

B

blksnday

Enthusiast
Receiver Denon-3805: 110W per chanel
Sur speakers's power handling: 20W-100W into 8ohms on unclipped programme

Is there a problem? Does the reciever deliver too much power to the speakers? Will the speakers die eventually due to this problem?

Thanks for your advices.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
no problem. your receiver won't harm those speakers

The13thGryphon

The13thGryphon

Audioholic
More damage is done with underpowered equipment, or by overdriving the amp into clipping, than by too much power. Therefore, I would tend to agree with Mike C... there should be no problem unless you cranked the system to unreasonable levels.

B

blksnday

Enthusiast
Thanks for giving me a peace of mind.
I'm not the cranking type guy, I'd never turn my system too loud. My usual listen level is around -30dB show on the receiver.

hifiman

hifiman

Audioholic
I'm showing my age a bit here, but back in the day when we had that new-fangled Dolby Pro-Logic, the school-of-thought back then was that the center channel should provide more power than the other channels. All the receivers had about an extra 20 wpc on the center amp. I used external amps and had a spare Carver TFM-35X amp that I used in bridged mode for the center channel. It put out 700 wpc into my little Boston Acoustic THX bookshelf speaker. Never bothered it.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
blksnday said:
Receiver Denon-3805: 110W per chanel
Sur speakers's power handling: 20W-100W into 8ohms on unclipped programme

Is there a problem? Does the reciever deliver too much power to the speakers? Will the speakers die eventually due to this problem?

Thanks for your advices.
Those speakers probably won't ever get more than twenty watts to them, unless you use 7ch stereo. But, 7ch stereo is not meant for cranking. So, you are in good shape.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis