Questions regarding sub types.

T

Titanhunter

Audiophyte
So guys, I figure this subject is not new but, just curious to what are the pros and cons of using subs made for automobiles in a home theater setup. I was recently given a set of JL Audio W3 12" subs but I have no auto to install at this point. These subs are older but have a sentimental value. A close friend of mine passed away and left these to me so I wish to honor him by using them somehow. Note: I did assemble a 10inch Orion sub in a custom enclosure from parts express, connected to an spa250 plate amp. It is currently connected to my Sony receiver. It sounds good, although the subs were meant for a ported enclosure. I'm just curious if building another set of sub enclosures for the JL's is the best thing to do. Any advice or even opinions appreciated.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
A good driver is a good driver. The the JL Audio drivers are any good, they will work for home audio subs. Only way to know for sure is to make the enclosures, put the subs together, and measure the result.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So guys, I figure this subject is not new but, just curious to what are the pros and cons of using subs made for automobiles in a home theater setup. I was recently given a set of JL Audio W3 12" subs but I have no auto to install at this point. These subs are older but have a sentimental value. A close friend of mine passed away and left these to me so I wish to honor him by using them somehow. Note: I did assemble a 10inch Orion sub in a custom enclosure from parts express, connected to an spa250 plate amp. It is currently connected to my Sony receiver. It sounds good, although the subs were meant for a ported enclosure. I'm just curious if building another set of sub enclosures for the JL's is the best thing to do. Any advice or even opinions appreciated.
Are they the W3-2 or the W3-4? The W-2 is only two ohm. While car amps are often comfortable with 2 ohm loads, few home amps are.

Both units are high Q drivers, especially the Q2. These drivers are really aimed at the car market. Neither will play very low, ported only the mid thirties. A sealed box with Eq over the last octave would be best. However total system Q in a sealed box is over 0.8 so unfortunately they will be boomy thumpers.

You may like them and have nothing to loose building boxes for them. However they are certainly not drivers I would choose or specify out of choice.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
+tlsguy
My friend built a sub with a w3-4 and just like tlsguy said it is boomy and rolls off very quickly around 30hz. We tried it in my house as a mid bass module with my other two subs and it worked ok. Maybe you could build a couple of mbm's, or something for the garage? I love the idea of honoring your friend but I don't think the w3's are a good bet for a home theater application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Titanhunter

Audiophyte
Thanks to all for the replies. Btw, they are the 12W3-D4. Im thinking just wire the coils series, si I get 8 ihms/driver then build them up and try them out, can't hurt. I'm certain my friend wouldn't care which application I choose, we had many very long audio discussions over the years and he knew how picky I am about audio. I do my homework most of the time, but I think this time I'll just have to wing it. If the subs don't dial in well, then I can always upgrade my truck. Thanks again for the replies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis