Questions regarding setting up Wharfedale Jade series speakers

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
Hi folks, I have just acquired some Jade 7’s, C2, and SR’s. I have not set up the system as of yet, but have a few questions before doing so. Bass will be handled by an SVS subwoofer. On the Manual, it states to set the 7’s to large? Isn’t this contrary to what most believe that all speakers should be set to Small, when running a separate subwoofer in a 5.1 configuration? The sound processor will be a Denon 4311 and power will come from an Emotiva XPA-5. This amplifier puts out 200 watts x 5 channels into 8 ohms, and 300 watts per channel into 4 ohms. Since the Jade’s are rated at 6 ohms, is it best to configure them at a 4 ohm impedance, versus 8? Below are a few measurements from some professional reviews, demonstrating that some of the Jade's dip below 4 ohms. Also, the C2 center channel is supposed to be of an aperiodic bass loading, which is Wharfedale's design to combine the benefits of a sealed and vented enclosure. However, the C2 comes with two removable port plugs in the rear. Other manufacturers send these port plugs to either run the speakers in sealed mode or to remove them to run in a ported enclosure mode. What gives with the C2? Should I leave these on?

Wharfedale Jade 7 loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

Wharfedale Jade 7 Speaker System HT Labs Measures | Home Theater

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Anyone? TTT
Those Jade speakers seem to have good bass extension. I would follow the manufacturer's recommendation for a start, and set the speakers to full range and bring in he sub gently below 60 Hz and after that experiment.

Those speakers should be considered four ohms or less.

I would leave the port plugs in. This results in a sealed enclosure with a controlled leak and damping. Dynaudio used to do this with their Variovent.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The sound processor will be a Denon 4311 and power will come from an Emotiva XPA-5. This amplifier puts out 200 watts x 5 channels into 8 ohms, and 300 watts per channel into 4 ohms. Since the Jade’s are rated at 6 ohms, is it best to configure them at a 4 ohm impedance, versus 8? Below are a few measurements from some professional reviews, demonstrating that some of the Jade's dip below 4 ohms.
What do you mean by "configure them at a 4 ohm impedance....? I didn't know the XPA-5 has such option. If it does, leave it at 8 ohm would be my recommendation. According to the graphs from the reviews they dip to a little under 4 ohm from 75 Hz to around 125 Hz that is mostly the subwoofer's domain except for 2.0 listening. The XPA-5 is rated 300W into 4 ohm so they are more than enough for the Jade-7 base on the manufacturer's recommended power amplifier power of 50 to 250W.

Unless you sit far away (like 4 meters or more) in a larger room and like to listen loud, even your 4311 could handle those speakers without losing on SQ. I know TLSG will disagree with me but that's expected.:D I know for a fact My KEF (similar imp dip, sensitivity and recommended amp power) only draws fractional watts on average with occasional peaks to 20-30W and that's only when I tried to push the limit of my ears otherwise most of time power peaks to a couple of watts. During normal listening I would have been fine with a 25W amp such as one of those $5K Luxman, but that's another story. You have a great set of nice sounding speakers and top notch prepro (4311), just enjoy and forget about those so call hard to drive blablabla perpeturated mostly by hearsays and audiophile dealers.:D

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Play with it and find what you like, I cross my jade 5's at 80hz with dual subs but thats a music only system...

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
Thanks guys. I had no idea that the Emotiva XPA-5 would "self adjust" to the ohms and select the appropriate impedance. I was under the impression that the impedance would have to be selected through the Denon, but it appears like when only using the Denon 4311 as a sound processor (PRE/PRO), and the XPA-5 for amplification, that I will not have to select the impedance, correct? The manufacturer recommends setting the 7 towers to large, but the concensus here and other forums is to set them all to small. Now when using a subwoofer, I need to select LFE or LFE plus mains? Can the speakers be set to small and still be in full range mode?

The system is in a small 10 x 14 den. I will be sitting about 7-feet from the speakers, so with this amp and type of speakers, it will be loud and clear:) Do you all feel that the XPA-5 is a waste, and that the 4311 would power these just fine, meaning that the XPA-5 would add no head room, and better amplification with less distortion?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks guys. I had no idea that the Emotiva XPA-5 would "self adjust" to the ohms and select the appropriate impedance. I was under the impression that the impedance would have to be selected through the Denon, but it appears like when only using the Denon 4311 as a sound processor (PRE/PRO), and the XPA-5 for amplification, that I will not have to select the impedance, correct? The manufacturer recommends setting the 7 towers to large, but the concensus here and other forums is to set them all to small. Now when using a subwoofer, I need to select LFE or LFE plus mains? Can the speakers be set to small and still be in full range mode?
Do you listen to music in direct, pure direct or you keep Audyssey on? In a small room like that I don't see any need to select LFE+Main. When you set the speakers to small, they are not full range but could come close if set the crossover to the minimum (40 Hz). I think you really should try out Audyssey but follow the instructions to the letter for the best result. If nothing else it should give you cleaning bass.

The system is in a small 10 x 14 den. I will be sitting about 7-feet from the speakers, so with this amp and type of speakers, it will be loud and clear:) Do you all feel that the XPA-5 is a waste, and that the 4311 would power these just fine, meaning that the XPA-5 would add no head room, and better amplification with less distortion?

It probably takes less than 1W, and definitely less than 2W for you to get 85 dB from where you sit. That means your 4311 would still have plenty on hand to take care any dynamic swings over the 85 dB level. My ears can't even handle 80 dB spl for more than a couple of minutes. The XPA-5 should help make your 4311 last longer and may get you a couple dB more dynamic capability that you most likely don't need now but may if you move your system to a larger room.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja

I don't think you went wrong with the xpa5 AT ALL, while it is true, you don't need much power to power the speakers, in fact using the crown calculator at 2.5m with the jades and 3db of headroom you need 8watts to hit 85db (to hit 100db you will need 250watts), BUT I have tried this many times, power them first with your AVR, and listen for a while and then switch to the XPA5, you will hear the difference, I know I tried it a few times... Using my DB meter I found we watch movies around 90db {of course peaks are a higher depending on the material}, and we sit about 14 feet from the speakers, I can say with out doubt, that my amp {also an xpa5} makes a huge sq and volume difference (I tried it with my old Yamaha and my Marantz slim, they end up turned all most all the way up and struggling}...The jades also seem to like power, so you made no mistake, BUT try it for yourself, you can always return the emo amp if you find no difference, but I don't think you will be returning it... Please post pics, I am a Wharfedale fanboy, and love to see people talking about them on the forums, this forum is very low on WD talk...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think you went wrong with the xpa5 AT ALL, while it is true, you don't need much power to power the speakers, in fact using the crown calculator at 2.5m with the jades and 3db of headroom you need 8watts to hit 85db (to hit 100db you will need 250watts), BUT I have tried this many times, power them first with your AVR, and listen for a while and then switch to the XPA5, you will hear the difference, I know I tried it a few times... Using my DB meter I found we watch movies around 90db {of course peaks are a higher depending on the material}, and we sit about 14 feet from the speakers, I can say with out doubt, that my amp {also an xpa5} makes a huge sq and volume difference (I tried it with my old Yamaha and my Marantz slim, they end up turned all most all the way up and struggling}...The jades also seem to like power, so you made no mistake, BUT try it for yourself, you can always return the emo amp if you find no difference, but I don't think you will be returning it... Please post pics, I am a Wharfedale fanboy, and love to see people talking about them on the forums, this forum is very low on WD talk...
Just a couple of points, he is sitting 7 ft, that's 2.134 meters, and that Crown calculator assumes no room gain and is for 1 speaker. I think the one avengineer linked is a better one to use and with that calculator he would likely hit 85 dB with just 1W, may be slightly more. As far as whether the xpa-5 will make that 'huge" sq for him as it does for you, is for him to find out. I hope so but even if not, it is always a good feeling to have a little more power on hand.

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I will have an installer/programmer dial all in, so due to cost and time, the XPA-5 will be powering everything from the get go. Can someone please confirm this:
Thanks guys. I had no idea that the Emotiva XPA-5 would "self adjust" to the ohms and select the appropriate impedance. I was under the impression that the impedance would have to be selected through the Denon, but it appears like when only using the Denon 4311 as a sound processor (PRE/PRO), and the XPA-5 for amplification, that I will not have to select the impedance, correct?​

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Can someone please confirm this:
Thanks guys. I had no idea that the Emotiva XPA-5 would "self adjust" to the ohms and select the appropriate impedance. I was under the impression that the impedance would have to be selected through the Denon, but it appears like when only using the Denon 4311 as a sound processor (PRE/PRO), and the XPA-5 for amplification, that I will not have to select the impedance, correct?​
Correct if the XPA-5 is powering all the speakers you have and the 4311 is used as a propro only. In fact the 4311 has a prepro mode if I remember right.

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
Correct if the XPA-5 is powering all the speakers you have and the 4311 is used as a propro only. In fact the 4311 has a prepro mode if I remember right.
Thank you.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis