Questions about Wifi AV receivers

D

Deliberate1

Audiophyte
Friends, I am new to this forum and to AV technology. Appreciate any insight you can provide.
I recently purchased a Samsung TV with Smart technology. Quite a remarkable device except for the sound which is understandably limited due to the size of the cabinet and speaker placement.
I am a musician (sax/clarinet) and often tune into satellite radio and play along. In fact, I am listening right now.
With the online capacity of this tv which is connected both to Direct TV and or home wifi network I can reach all kinds of radio sources. But I would also like to be able to source media from a CD player, and significantly improve the sound output. I have a pair of wonderful Duval Planet speakers and a Cambridge CD player that I would bring back into service which would require an AV receiver. I probably would also add a subwoofer and perhaps a center channel speaker for AV media. I have no desire to have a full-blown home theater set-up with seven speakers, etc.
My question is whether there is an advantage to having a receiver with wifi capacity. Again, since our tv has that capacity, would the connectivity be redundant. I assume that I could easily connect the tv to the receiver in a way that would direct the tv streaming audio signal to the receiver where it would be amplified and channeled to the peripheral speakers, thereby obviating the need to access that data directly from the receiver? Are there other advantages/disadvantages to an A?V receiver with Wifi capacity that I may just be missing? I suppose that if I just want to listen to streamed music and could access that signal from the receiver, and would not have to run it through the tv.
Appreciate the help.
By the way the rig I am looking at with the wifi is the new Denon AVR S700W, or the X1000 without
D1

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I find routing sound from my tv to my receiver using the ARC somewhat clumsy, perhaps just my control methods. I like going through just the receiver so that I can leave my tv off when listening to just music.

L

ltduster71

Audiophyte
Friends, I am new to this forum and to AV technology. Appreciate any insight you can provide.
I recently purchased a Samsung TV with Smart technology. Quite a remarkable device except for the sound which is understandably limited due to the size of the cabinet and speaker placement.
I am a musician (sax/clarinet) and often tune into satellite radio and play along. In fact, I am listening right now.
With the online capacity of this tv which is connected both to Direct TV and or home wifi network I can reach all kinds of radio sources. But I would also like to be able to source media from a CD player, and significantly improve the sound output. I have a pair of wonderful Duval Planet speakers and a Cambridge CD player that I would bring back into service which would require an AV receiver. I probably would also add a subwoofer and perhaps a center channel speaker for AV media. I have no desire to have a full-blown home theater set-up with seven speakers, etc.
My question is whether there is an advantage to having a receiver with wifi capacity. Again, since our tv has that capacity, would the connectivity be redundant. I assume that I could easily connect the tv to the receiver in a way that would direct the tv streaming audio signal to the receiver where it would be amplified and channeled to the peripheral speakers, thereby obviating the need to access that data directly from the receiver? Are there other advantages/disadvantages to an A?V receiver with Wifi capacity that I may just be missing? I suppose that if I just want to listen to streamed music and could access that signal from the receiver, and would not have to run it through the tv.
Appreciate the help.
By the way the rig I am looking at with the wifi is the new Denon AVR S700W, or the X1000 without
D1

L

ltduster71

Audiophyte
I purchased Denon AVR S700W in July of 2014. It has a lot of functionality for the price of $449. Denon’s AVR-S700W helps usher in the new era of 4K video and networked media. Part of the new 2014 S-series, the 700W features HDMI 2.0 for next generation 4K Ultra HD content and built-in wireless networking. It offers plenty of power and features like Audyssey to make sure everything sounds great. All of this is easily accessible with an intuitive menu system, quick-select buttons, and a simple, graphic setup.
Now the concern: I turned on my unit today " No Display" all features work, but no lcd on the front display is showing what's operating. I called Denon tech support, checked to see that the display dim feature was off & also did a default reset as per the tech rep. He then confirmed this is a common problem with this model. I was told to take it a Denon authorized dealer & Denon has a 3 year warranty repair. BTW Denon Tech Support is a real person :) I also might add I purchased this unit the month it was released. Denon would also reimburse any shipping for repairs. stay tuned.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis