Questions about RX-A3000 and Oppo 93 Setup

H

Hialeo302

Enthusiast
Hello Everyone

I've been reading this site almost daily for the last six months and wanted to say the site is filled with some truely amazing audiophiles. Some of the technical aspects and user gallerys submitted have left me in aw and wishing to have the knowledge/gear some of you have. I am setting up my first true home A/V system and wanted to get some opinions and answers to some questions I have.

I guess I did it backards from the norm of "buy the best speakers you can" and build from there. Knowing this, speaker upgrades are this years end goal. However, the problem/questions I am having is with the compatibility of my receiver and BD player. Because of the reviews and comments here I bought myself the Yamaha RX-A3000 receiver and the Oppo 93 over christmas. I think the A3000 was probably overkill, but who knows when I'll buy the next receiver. The Oppo 93 was an easier choice for me since I wanted a universal BD/CD player that I could enjoy having a listen to some SACD's. As a former musican, I really love and appriciate the time I get to sit down and really listen to music. Seems like everyone believes this is a great, albeit niche/older format.

The Yamaha manual is daunting to read, but I've followed the reviews and setups from here. Before I get into my questions please know both the A3000 and Oppo 93 have been updated with the latest firmware as of 03/22/11 and the system is 65/35 music to movies.

Video:
I connected the Oppo's HDMI 1 to the A3000. Following both reviews of the units, seems both video processors had perfect scores for Video. So my question is which unit do I let do the processing?

If it's the Oppo, do I put the Oppo's Output Resolution to Auto?
If it's the Yamaha, then do I put the Oppo's Output Resolution to Direct Source and the Yamaha's Video Processing to On?

Audio:
Do I set the Oppo's audio processing to what I normally would on the Yamaha, eg. set the crossovers to 80Hz, or do I bypass it's crossovers by setting all speakers to Large and use the Yamaha's crossovers?

Should I listen to BD movies and concerts with the Yamaha audio set to "Straight"?

I currently have a 5.1 setup and I think this is as big as I can go in my current house. Hopefully someday I can have a dedicated HT/listening room. Room is 14x12x8 and opens into a dinning room. My speaker setup is as follows:

Fronts: Polk Monitor 70's (Bi-Amp'ed)
Center: Polk CS2
Rears: Polk Monitor 30's
Sub: Emotiva 12"

I have yet to run the Yamaha room eq config. Sorry for the wall of text and thank you for your time. Any comments or questions would be greatly welcomed.

T

tjf120

Audioholic Intern
I would definitely use the Oppo for your video decoding. So I'd set it up for 'pass through' on your receiver and Oppo to output the signal.

For Audio, I'd do the reverse. Bitstream everything from your Oppo to the Yammy (bitstream means no decoding from the Oppo) and let set all your audio parameters with the receiver (x-over, distance, level etc). In terms of what sounds the best, you can choose cycle through all the different audio decoding from the Yammy, and find the best one that sounds good to you in your room with your setup.

The other thing, I have the Yammy 1800, assume the 3000 still lets you 'save' different setups, so you can run the YPAO and try different EQs to get a different sound characteristic. On my 1800, I don't like the room correction, so I did the manual EQ with a SPL meter and like it much better.

H

Hialeo302

Enthusiast
Tjf120

Thanks for the quick reply. I do have the audio of the Oppo set to bitstream but does this automatically bypass the audio decoding on the oppo or do I need to change all the speaker settings in it to large?

T

tjf120

Audioholic Intern
If you have it set to bitstream, then none of the Oppo settings should affect the audio signal. I have the Oppo 83, I'm assuming nothing has changed to the 93.

The receiver will do all the decoding/processing and output to your speakers. You should see it light up 'Dolby DTS HD' when you play a BD in it, whereas if you set it to do the decoding, your receiver should say 'LPCM'.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis