Question regarding my Office Audio Setup

V

VIPeat

Audiophyte
Hi guys, I'm Pete.. totally new here and to home audio.

I have an issue with my Stereo Office audio setup. I'm hoping to get some professional expert advice.

Here are my components:
Sony STRDH130 receiver
Polk Audio T15 bookshelf speakers
16G Speaker Wire

Upon setting up, I did notice a slight distortion on my left channel speaker. I did a few troubleshooting methods to see if I could fix the problem.

1) I switched the speakers out from left to right
2) I recut and used a different speaker wire
3) I used a new set of speakers

Result: The distortion on the left is still there no matter what I do. Does that mean my receiver is bad? I'm not quite sure what to do next.

Other info: I did not blast the volume. I have kept it at a low, moderate level throughout setup (I was hoping to break the speakers in).

Have any of you had a similar issue to my dilemma? Any help would be appreciated!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Does the stereo have a left/right balance knob?

Does it seem to get worse when you adjust the volume? Is it kind of a "scratchy" sound?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Is PC is one of the sources (I ask since you've mentioned it's office system)
Could be easily issue with ground loop.
I fixed it by using optical out connectivity.

V

VIPeat

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone!

The source is a our office 50" TV w/ Amazon Fire Stick. It also happens when I use the AUX and play music off my iPhone.

The distortion happens with a variety of feeds from Youtube, Netflix, Prime Music, etc.

Yes, I have used the balance knob from the receiver. The sound is reminiscent of a static/scratchy sound. It's not heavy by no means and I can live with it. But it's there, it's more prevalent with higher frequency sounds. The right speaker sounds perfect and yes it happens when I switch the speakers as well. It's quite baffling. I will have to call Sony tomorrow as well.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks everyone!

The source is a our office 50" TV w/ Amazon Fire Stick. It also happens when I use the AUX and play music off my iPhone.

The distortion happens with a variety of feeds from Youtube, Netflix, Prime Music, etc.

Yes, I have used the balance knob from the receiver. The sound is reminiscent of a static/scratchy sound. It's not heavy by no means and I can live with it. But it's there, it's more prevalent with higher frequency sounds. The right speaker sounds perfect and yes it happens when I switch the speakers as well. It's quite baffling. I will have to call Sony tomorrow as well.
You could possibly have a dirty potentiometer. Either the volume pot or the balance pot. If that is the case, a good cleaning with Deoxit will likely solve the problem.

But, you have not provided enough info for me to be certain if a dirty pot is really the issue or not!

Get some music playing and turn the volume pot up/down several times and see if the scratch sound changes any. Then, do the same with the balance pot.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No balance knob, and looks to me to be a digitally controlled volume unit (and input selector) but I didn't try and find manual/schematics....

ps Now I see your comment that you used a balance knob...what balance knob?

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi guys, I'm Pete.. totally new here and to home audio.

I have an issue with my Stereo Office audio setup. I'm hoping to get some professional expert advice.

Here are my components:
Sony STRDH130 receiver
Polk Audio T15 bookshelf speakers
16G Speaker Wire

Upon setting up, I did notice a slight distortion on my left channel speaker. I did a few troubleshooting methods to see if I could fix the problem.

1) I switched the speakers out from left to right
2) I recut and used a different speaker wire
3) I used a new set of speakers

Result: The distortion on the left is still there no matter what I do. Does that mean my receiver is bad? I'm not quite sure what to do next.

Other info: I did not blast the volume. I have kept it at a low, moderate level throughout setup (I was hoping to break the speakers in).

Have any of you had a similar issue to my dilemma? Any help would be appreciated!
When did you buy it? If it has always done this, check into returning it.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
No balance knob, and looks to me to be a digitally controlled volume unit (and input selector) but I didn't try and find manual/schematics....

ps Now I see your comment that you used a balance knob...what balance knob?
VIPeat:
If I do a search on your receiver, there's no balance knob. You have a receiver with all digital controls you should be adjusting with a remote control. That will eliminate the dirty pot/dirty knob scenarios. It also begs the question that lovinthehd asked "what balance knob?" are you turning?

If we eliminate potentiameter noise, you have already swapped out the speakers, the speaker wires, and tried different inputs : all with the same noise : then you only have one item left in the list and that's your receiver.

Is this a new receiver? Has this receiver ever worked without the noise? If its new, or new to you, you may be making a trip back to where you got it. If its worked before and its a used receiver, you may be looking for another receiver.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This unit has no pots.

Here is the service manual. If it is under warranty, use it. Obviously the unit has a serious fault.

The unit is current. If it is out of warranty then this unit looks like a nightmare to service. You could not find the fault most likely let alone fix it for the cost of a new one.

The switching and volume controls are all digital. There is a preamp IC. The power amps has an IC pre driver, the driver stage is discrete transistor and so is the output stage. The unit has extensive protection circuitry.

If this unit is out of warranty then ditch it. It is not a sufficiently valuable unit to warrant out of warranty service.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis