Question regarding all channels driven

1964SS

Audiophyte
Hello Gang,
I'm having issues trying to figure out the output power of an amplifier. The amp in questions is the Crown Drivecore series CDI4/1250. It is a 4 channel two rack space amplifier and I'm being told it is 1250WPC. I can see it being a total output power of 1250 maybe. All the datasheets specify power in ACD rather then any sort of per channel output. Is this a 5000 watt amplifier?

It will not let me post the link since I'm a new member. You can find the amp info on crowns website under drivecore-install-network-series

Thank you so much for your help.

Mike

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I read the specs on that one. The specs are ambiguous and your question will be best answered by the author of them.

1964SS

Audiophyte
Thanks Mark, I felt the same way about those specs. I called them and they stated it was 1250wpc. I just don't believe it.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Does it state anywhere over what range and at what distortion level?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
In truth Watts is a poor representation of what we are really interested. I always convert the measure to dBW to get a real comparison of the two amps.

The link below has a convenient converter

dBW (Decibel-Watt)

dBW are what you add to the 1watt SPL of your speaker to get the actual volume.
500 watts is about 27dBW so for a 90 dB/w speaker it would play at a max 117dB. Your amp only has 3 more dB than 500 watt one which is not that significant in terms of pure SPL.

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
Does it state anywhere over what range and at what distortion level?
Yep, in the Operation Manual:

Page 52 & 53:

DCi Specifications

Dual-Mode - All Channels Driven

DCi Network Model Channels 2 Ohms 4 Ohms 8 Ohms 16 Ohms 140Vrms 200Vrms
4|1250N................4............1250W...1250W..1250W...625W.....1250W....1250W
Minimum Guaranteed Power (20 Hz - 20 kHz)

Bridge Mono Mode - All Channels Driven
DCi Network Model 4 Ohm 8 Ohms 16 Ohms 140Vrms 200Vrms
4|1250N ...............2500W..2500W..2500W....2500W...2500W
Minimum Guaranteed Power (20 Hz - 20 kHz)
Page 54:

Total Harmonic Distortion................................0.35%
(at full rated power, from 20 Hz - 20 kHz)

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
In truth Watts is a poor representation of what we are really interested. I always convert the measure to dBW to get a real comparison of the two amps.

The link below has a convenient converter

dBW (Decibel-Watt)

dBW are what you add to the 1watt SPL of your speaker to get the actual volume.
500 watts is about 27dBW so for a 90 dB/w speaker it would play at a max 117dB. Your amp only has 3 more dB than 500 watt one which is not that significant in terms of pure SPL.
Great link sir!

I use this one to calculate the required power to be applied to a speaker for a desired dB gain (by using 1W in Power A). Any two values can be inserted to calculate the third. Try plugging in 500W and 1259W. ;)

dB Power Ratio Calculator

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That thing is rated 1250 W per channel but it cannot be theoretically rated for ACD at 1250 W each. I guess they can claim ACD because it can do so when dealing with typical music program material. From a 20A 120V outlet, the maximum permissible draw is only 2400W. Truely ACD rating are not really that useful anyway, mostly marketing hype.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That thing is rated 1250 W per channel but it cannot be theoretically rated for ACD at 1250 W each. I guess they can claim ACD because it can do so when dealing with typical music program material. From a 20A 120V outlet, the maximum permissible draw is only 2400W. Truely ACD rating are not really that useful anyway, mostly marketing hype.

SSHHHH don't tell accudeftechguy,,,,, but now that I'm using my treadmill at home, I switch on 7 channel stereo so I don't have crank the fronts as loud as I'm back 18' from the fronts. The surrounds are only 2' away.. I never thought I would use all channels driven :p

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
SSHHHH don't tell accudeftechguy,,,,, but now that I'm using my treadmill at home, I switch on 7 channel stereo so I don't have crank the fronts as loud as I'm back 18' from the fronts. The surrounds are only 2' away.. I never thought I would use all channels driven :p
Yeah, when I'm doing work around the house, I switch on 7 channel stereo. It just helps to fill other parts of the house with sound when I'm all over the place.

Also, the GF likes 7 ch stereo for football games.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis