Question on Frequency coverage

C

Chluke33

Audiophyte
Hey there,

I have 5.1 setup from the now-defunct The Speaker Company - 4 TSAT2000's , 1 TSAT2400 as center, and the TSAT T100 woofer. My concern right now is the frequency coverage -

- The T100 specs indicate it only goes up to 120Mhz (I thought it was 150Mhz, same as the ASW-10). However, the crossover freq dial on back goes to 150 which is what i have it set at.
- The TSAT2000's (my L-R-LS-RS) are rated to 120Mhz.
- I have a Pio VSX-816 now, and plan on getting a VSX-1020 for HDMI, but the crossover settings can only be set at 100/150 for either of these units, leaving me with 150 as only option (100 setting sucks the life right out of the 2000's).

Should I be concerned about a frequency blind spot somewhere between 120-150Mhz? Frankly the sound is excellent to my ears for soundtracks (i.e. Dark City, Iron Man, etc..) in my 11x12 room, so no real complaints at all, just nagging me if I'm missing out on that little extra.

Thanks for any advice!

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
The crossover is essentially a high and low pass filter. Leave your crossover on your sub set to it highest position and let the receiver handle it. Generally, you want to set the crossover equal to, or higher than your speakers lowest frequency response. In your case 120 Hz or more. Since the only setting equal or higher than 120 is 150, set it to that. Therefore, everything below 150 will be sent to sub, and everything above is sent to speakers (in least words possible). That covers your "blind spots". The problem is that subs are 'localized' above ~80Hz, so you may want to put it in front of the listening position.
Your sub should go higher than 120Hz...your crossover is not the freq response of the sub...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes you are missing out with speakers that require a crossover that high, because your lower midrange is being passed off to the sub and that isn't always a good thing even with a decent sub. Subs are really only localizable above about 100-120Hz, but with a crossover at 120Hz or 150Hz that means it will still be playing sound at least one octave above that, or up to 300Hz, and that is too high for most subs. In this case, a 100Hz x-over probably won't work well, as you have found, so your only option is 150Hz, look for a receiver that has a 120Hz x-over, or start looking to replace your front 3 speakers at least.

It is Hz not Mhz. Mhz is beyond human hearing.

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
Best thing to do is get some test tones (80-300 Hz in 10 Hz increments) and see how your system behaves with different XO settings :) then you will know for sure where your 'blind spots' are

C

Chluke33

Audiophyte
Thank you caper26 and j garcia -I kind of knew going in with the satellites that I wouldn't have optimum range but will seriously consider getting receiver that has the 120 x-over setting. My sub is situated in the front position of my room so at least I'm maximizing the response in that respect.

Will look into the test tones too. Btw, J garcia, I didn't realize was putting the M with the Hz, perhaps the Bat Lord would be able to hear that :)

Thanks again!

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
I really dont think you will notice a big difference by getting an AVR with 120 Hz option. I would borrow one before buying to see if you actually notice a difference...but then again, it might sound different anyway since it will be a different AVR! Seriously, try 150, and if you can live with that sound with your sats, just enjoy !

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You aren't going to end up with "blind" spots where you don't have sound at all, you will likely just end up with dips in response, somewhere around the crossover. As you mentioned already, it doesn't sound bad, so the dips aren't affecting it to the degree that it is a big issue so I'd say you are OK.

C

Chluke33

Audiophyte
Thanks again to both of you , I'll definitely audition the next AVR I get (w/o priority on 120 xover setting) and make sure I am happy with the performance.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis