Question about turning down watts

E

elitism

Audiophyte
Is it possible to turn down the watts on the Yamaha RX-V2500 or Yamaha RX-V1500 receivers to accomidate speakers that can only handle 100 watts of input?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
if your speakers can handle 100 watts, they are pretty safe with the yamaha receivers (whatever model)

to answer your question:
no, you can't turn down watts - you will have to control yourself from maxing out the volume.

how big is your room?

unless it is a gigantic room, your ears will bleed first from loud volume before you reach the 100-120w of the receiver

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
you should be safe,it's far easier to blow speaker's from under powering than it is from over powering.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You can't turn down watts but you can use common sense.

Like Mike C said, you will should able to hear the tell tale signs of speakers running out of steam before they cross the point of no return.

It's not that difficult.

If it starts to sound funky, harsh, distorted or in any way simply not right, turn it down immediately. Something is complaining. It could be either the speakers, the amp or your ears. It doesn't matter. Something is trying to tell you it ain't happy.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
highfihoney said:
you should be safe,it's far easier to blow speaker's from under powering than it is from over powering.
I agree. I have said the same exact thing, and boy did it get these people going.:rolleyes: Expect more attacks.

L

lbjazz

Audioholic Intern
Like they've said

Your ears would bleed well before you pump 100 watts through those speakers unless they're some kind of super inefficient.

I'm a bass player and I have an Ampeg head that pushes 1000 watts into my ampeg 4x10 cab. The cab can only take about 600-800 watts, but even in the times that I was literally shaking and rattling everything in a large high school gym there was never a problem.

E

elitism

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the help...I'm trying to learn as much as I can about all the audio equipment before I buy.

T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
According to a Rane Note I read, people can push their amplifier into quite a lot of clipping before finding the sound too unpleasant to listen to.

http://www.rane.com/note128.html

With Dolby Digital/DTS sources running at reference level, clipping might occur on even the best amplifiers if you are sitting some distance away from the speakers. It can occur at an even lower volume if the LFE channel is being sent to the main speakers.

Dolby recommend to 5.1 music studios 3 dB of headroom in amplifier power over the maximum rated power of the speakers you are using:

http://www.dolby.com/assets/pdf/tech_library/4_Multichannel_Music_Mixing.pdf

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis