Question about SPDIF and HD Audio on Home Receiver (Denon AVRx4000)

P

pagesiderageside

Enthusiast
I'm attempting to play higher quality audio files to my Denon AVR x4000 receiver from my 2012 iMac. Just bought some new speakers and have been tying to play my music on them.
I don't care to use the airplay features as these are limited to 44KHz 16bit. I have a library of FLAC files that are 96KHz 24bit.

From what I gathered, the most cost-effective way to do this would be to use a cable such as this one:
12ft Optical Toslink to Mini Toslink M/M 5.0mm OD Molded Cable which I purchased on Monoprice.
(sorry can't post link as don't have 10-post count yet).

I purchased these cables, plugged the 3.5 end into my optical/digital 3.5 port on the iMac. The toslink end shows a bright red light when looking down the barrel. I plugged it into the "CD" optical input port on the receiver (the only other option for optical port is "TV"). Changed mac sound preferences to that output (reads as optical-digital I believe). I've tried playing w/ the Audio MIDI Setup, but it was already on digital. Changed the format to 96KHz 24bit. But it doesn't seem to matter what I do, NO AUDIO!

I can't get iTunes to play any music. I tried VLC and same thing. No problem when using my 2.1 USB speakers, all the files play. The receiver handles other forms of audio fine so it's not the speaker connections.

Do I have the wrong cable? Am I missing something else?

If you need any additional information, I'd be happy to help. Sorry if this was posted elsewhere. Did a search here and on google and couldn't find anything. The manual wasn't much help.

Thanks for any and all help!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Have you gone into the AVR setup and configured that input to be selected when you hit a particular input button?

I doubt that it was auto-assigned. Probly just need to configure the AVR.

P

pagesiderageside

Enthusiast
That would be awfully stupid of me! I assumed since it was labeled "CD", pressing the "CD" input on the remote would suffice.
When I get back I'll give that a try.

P

pagesiderageside

Enthusiast
I assume, then, that the cable is the correct cable? Not sure if you checked monoprice, but if you copy/paste the description of the cable into google it'll take you right to the page (first non-advertised link)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not familiar with the Macs, but I do believe that it uses a special cable similar to what you described.

Dunno, but I know on my Pio AVR, I have to go tell each input selection to choose the physical input that I need.

Someone with your model of AVR may come along and enlighten us on the topic.

P

pagesiderageside

Enthusiast
Either than or I'll answer my own question in a few short hrs lol.

P

pagesiderageside

Enthusiast
Thanks slippery! That did the trick. There was no input assigned under CD! Got so used to HDMI connections guess I didn't even think it might not auto-config. Sounds great with this cable!

Thanks again!

Boredsys, thanks as well, though wasn't exactly the problem I'm having.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks slippery! That did the trick. There was no input assigned under CD! Got so used to HDMI connections guess I didn't even think it might not auto-config. Sounds great with this cable!

Thanks again!

Boredsys, thanks as well, though wasn't exactly the problem I'm having.
Yup.

Been there, done that! Glad I could help. :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis