Question about single channel surround back speaker

P

poobah_1

Audiophyte
So I have a fairly nice Yamaha 2600.

I want to connect my surround back channels up but only have one coaxial cable pre-wired in my media room.

So I am thinking about using the pre-outs into a stereo amp to run the one little speaker.

So my questions is:

Can I use a Y connector to take both Surround back channels (L&R) into the single coaxial cable ( looks like TV cable wire) and then input that single wire into the stereo input of a Stereo Amp like an OSD AMP60?

Any other suggestions???

I want to use the wires I have, I would rather not start going down the wireless route just yet...

Thanks

pooBAH

T

Tin Ear

Junior Audioholic
You have a preout single (L) on the back of your receiver ... maybe I am not understanding your question fully.

You would just run the single preout to the single channel amp, to the speaker. Seems simple enough. Am I missing something?

P

poobah_1

Audiophyte
You have a preout single (L) on the back of your receiver ... maybe I am not understanding your question fully.

You would just run the single preout to the single channel amp, to the speaker. Seems simple enough. Am I missing something?
Well, I wanted to combine both channels...left and right into one co-axial cable using a Y cable. Then thinking that both signals are being carried in the single wire...input into a single stereo input into and then into two Surround Back speakers L & R...

Maybe that is stupid...but I am new at this

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You don't need to do that. Just send the SBL channel to the amp and in your speaker configuration in the receiver just tell it you only have one rear surround.

T

Tin Ear

Junior Audioholic
No, not stupid ... your receiver is configured to support a single rear centered channel if you do not indeed have 2 speakers.

I don't think combining the signals would yeild any benefits and may actually cause problems.

I run a similar setup with a Yamaha receiver (RX-A2010) without issue. You will need to go into the receiver menu and update your configuration, or let YPAO do it. That will likley net the best and most trouble-free result.

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Configure the speakers for a 6.1 system. Channels 6 and 7 will be summed internally into that one rear surround.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis