Question about Rocket Speakers; can anyone give impressions?

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Hi-

I'm currently on the look for some new speakers. I've narrowed things down and have some considerations to make. I do like to listen to as many pairs as I can and have really settled on a pair I like. I'm currently running B&W 601 s3's as fronts, LCR60 for center, SVS PB10-ISD sub, and Polk R15's as surround. Mostly listen to music, but definitely movies on the weekend...no 5.1 music, dvd audio, etc. The pair I've mosted coveted and nearly pulled the trigger on was a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's. But before I did so, I wanted to investigate the online seller/distributor channels. What I've found is lots of info/feedback/opinions on Axiom, a fair amount on Aperion...but I've never really seen a review of Rocket speakers. Also, many people chime in for speaker suggestions on these forums and I've never seen them suggested. I'm curioius about this. Is it just because they have a very small audience/user base? Is it becuase they're not very good? From their looks (both aesthetically and build-wise) and the story behind them, they seem like really solid speakers and it baffles me that I don't hear more about them here. I'm specifically considering the RS250 MKII's (if I stick with bookshelves), or at the RS550 MKII's (if I go floorstanding). They're offering a sale on both of them that seems like a really good deal, and a touch cheaper than the Paradigms to boot. Can anyone give any impressions or thoughts on these speakers? I like the idea of the 30-day trial (as most of the online distributors offer), but don't want to waste my time if they're really not worth it. Really just curious why I don't see their name pop up more.

Thanks in advance.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Never judge a book by its covers, ergo, never judge a speaker by its looks.

I heard a pair of Rocket floorstanders. The sound was definitely bass heavy, with severely recessed trebble. It was not my cup of tea. I ended up with a pair of Infinity Kappa floorstanders, about the same price (a bit less if memory serves), and I was much happier with the Infinity's sound.

Go to an audio dealer. For the same price if not less than what the Rockets cost, you have a wide range of speaker brands available to you. Paradigm, PSB, Infinity, Boston Acoustics, Monitor Audio, etc. All very fine sounding, reasonably priced speakers that have garnered good reviews.

Last edited:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I haven't heard them, but I will say that Furry's experience contradicts more than a dozen very positive reviews from guys I know from the forums, as well as all the published reviews. Be aware that the sound of a speaker will vary drastically from system to system based on associated gear and the peculiarities of each room.

AV123 has a pretty good return policy, and Mark is a really upstanding guy. I've heard very little criticism of their business policies, and they have many happy customers.

Just my $.02 worth.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the feedback so far, especially the link to the review. That sounded pretty positive in terms of cost-to-performance ratio. Having read that, it seems even more weird to me that I don't see them pop up more. I'll keep digging around and see what I can find...but info only goes so far...I may just have to bite the bullet, order a pair, and see what they can do.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
... especially the link to the review. That sounded pretty positive...
Gee, a positive review from positive-feedback.com? Shocking.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
Be aware that that review is from MadDog(his screen name). Look at how many thousands of posts he has on AVS and AV123 forums regarding Rockets. That is kind of like me doing a review of Ascend Acoustics or others reviewing their favorite speaker.

The 550IIs compare very well with the upper end of the Studio line.

Last edited:
B

bray

Audioholic Intern
Rockets

I had the chance to audition the RS1000s in an EXTREMELY reflective room, and I thought they sounded great. The soundstage of the 1000s was incredible, the only downside too my ears, was that they lacked a little in detail. I would recomend auditioning them, they are a fine sounding speaker. When I start putting together a bedroom system. I'll definately look into some of the smaller Rockets.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

MadDog is, I believe, an audio journelist by profession. Although I can't recall his name, if I remember correctly, he has bylines in several publications. Of course, that doesnt mean he's more objective. He's been a known "fanboy" of Onix speakers for years. But he knows his stuff, and I think they must be pretty decent for him to hold them in such high regard.

Of course, this is just speculation on my part. :p

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
Maddog is such a fanboy that he picked the Von Schweikert VR4-Jr's over the Onix Ref 3's in a side by side test. This was not even a blind test, either. If he was as biased as, for example Tex "Ascend wins every time" Amp suggests (that was humor, Chris), then he would have seen to it the Ref 3's won.

As for the Rockets, they make a fine speaker. And yes, there are a lot of fine speakers on the market.

W

watersuper

Audiophyte
Beware

This is my first post but I have been lurking aroud here and other sites for the last few months. Probably like a lot of others, I am trying to educate myself on the subject at hand. I have made decisions and purchases on all components leaving speakers for last. I have listened to many of the "big name" speakers at different audio stores and now know what I like and don't like.
Cyrrently looking at the internet companies and find it interesting that fuzzycute bashes Onix speakers with about every post. I haven't listened to any internet company speakers yet but intend too. People doing the same as I need to be warned about posts both for and against a particular speaker to see if there is a hidden agenda.
Check the sources other posts, to see what is on their mind.
Good luck with your quest for information.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Online return policies

With the great return policies from AV123, Axiom Audio, and others you have little or nothing to loose.

Borrow the Paradigms from the local dealer and demo against the rockets and make your own deceision. Build your HT around the speaker brand that sounds best to your ears. After all, you are the one that has to listen to them.

R

rolyasm

Full Audioholic
Ditto what JCPanny said. With Axiom, you pay for the return only, with rockets, I think it is both ways. Get a couple online speakers and buy a couple of different ones from the local shops. So you burn a couple of hundred bucks on the shipping. You now have the satisfaction that you listened to 4 or 5 different speakers in your own listening environment and picked the very best one for you. Take or send back the ones you didn't like and sit back and listen to what you considered the best bang for your buck.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Why waste all that time and money. Just buy some MB Quarts.:D

rikmeister

rikmeister

Audioholic
look on most of the internet sites. they list in a section of people who are willing

to let you come to there house to demo them. remember it is your ears you are listening with not mine. but in case you want to buy a set let me know, ehehehe. also once you figure out what you like. then why not look on audiogon.com and see if you can find a demo or used one and save some more money and maybe look more upscale that way. audiogon is pretty reliable to deal with. just look at the number of sales the person has. and never send money order or wire the money. that has sucker written all over it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis