Quality vs Quantity

D

Dan Shaw

Audiophyte
I have $3,100 to spend on a new TV. I've got a huge room. 14' ceiling and 20' wide x 40' long. Facts:
  • The TV must go in this room
  • Main viewing distance will be 13'
  • We cannot darken the very bright room so projection is out
Should I get the largest TV for my budget or a smaller better quality TV. I understand that the high resolution of 4k is lost at my sitting distance so should I get:
  • 55" OLED
  • 65" 4k
  • 75" LED
Thanks in advance for any advice.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Finally a new poster with some common sense!!!
Go with 75" without a doubt. No one ever said - "My TV is too large"
At 75" TV and 13ft distance you'd be right smack in middle of sweet area for 1080p.
Did you considered an audio system of sorts? TV speakers on vast majority of flat panels are terrible.

D

Dan Shaw

Audiophyte
Hey BoredSysAdmin,
I already have a 4 year old Onkyo 7.1 system. We basically moved our home theatre from one smaller room to a larger. So we are currently watching a 46" TV in a large room...no fun! I figured if I purchase a 'regular' 1080p TV, then the current Onkyo will work with it (HDMI). It sounds great in its home (large room) as we also use it for music when entertaining.

I was leaning towards the larger is better choice. As mentioned it is a 40' room and there is a secondary sitting area in the back of the room and a larger TV will be nice for those people hanging out to view peripherally.

Anymore input will be greatly appreciated.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The sweet spot in LCD TVs is currently 70". IMO, the 4K displays look better too. So my advice is that the best bang for your buck is a 70" 4K LCD. You can get a nice one for under $2K, easy.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
We won't see affordable 4K televisions taken to their full capacity for a while (HDR still in its infancy, but looks promising). I wouldn't jump on the 4K bandwagon yet.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Find a holiday sale or Cyber Monday deal on a 70". I agree you should not concern yourself with 4K yet, OLED appears to be expanding through manufacturers for 2016, so within a few years we should see some very competitive pricing.

Til then, 1080P looks spectacular, particularly when using a quality player like an Oppo. My older BDP-93 provides noticeably superior video quality, even on my 'puny' 42" ;-)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis