Quad 22L vs. Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 vs. Evo 30

salad 419

salad 419

Audioholic Intern
I'm building a 2nd system which will be for MY listening room. I have the Quad 22L's in my 1st system and was hoping to find a cheaper alternative since budget is always tight. I've considered the Wharfedale Diamond 9.6's and Evo 30's since they're owned my the same parent company. Has anyone had a chance to audition all (or some) of these speakers? How do the 9.6's sound vs. the 30's? Do either stand up against the Quads? Do you think either of these will be up to the task to make me happy or should I look elsewhere? I think I like the Quads and would like to stick with a similar soft dome tweeter presentation.

Any and all comments appreciated.

Y

yellowballoon

Audiophyte
Reply to Quad 22L vs. Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 vs. Evo 30

Hi there. I'm new to this forum, so if i'm doing something wrong please let me know!

All of the loudspeakers mentioned are formidable. The quads have, as far as I know have now been discontinued...but perhaps you are looking to buy second hand? This issue is also raised when you mention the Evo 30s. Do you mean the discontinued Wharfedale Evo 30s or the Wharfedale Evo2 30s?

I am a proud owner of the Wharfedale Evo2 30s, I have had them since christmas and I cannot fault them at all! They are detailed, tonally perfect for me (on the temp scale they would be just edging into the warm part), very hard hitting and incredibly versatile. Using a '84 JVC A-X400 amplifier which is 70w/channel and hardly modern technology my eardrums will not accept anything over 30 w peak power so they must be incredibly responsive too! Their soundstage is gob-smakingly amazing (I can be sitting practically horizontal to them in the middle and still make out all of an orchestra's insturmentation positioning. They are good looking, in the light wood I have them in and their quality is light years ahead of anything the same price.

I have never heard either of the other two in action, but I'm sure the Diamonds are pretty similar...similar specs anyway. The EVO series is a higher model range than the Diamond series, so they may be built using higher quality materials.

I got my Wharfedale EVO2 30s for £299.99 inc post/packaging on superfi.co.uk who are doing a "seven-day deal" which has lasted longer than seven days?!?! Get yourself a deal before they go. The Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 speakers are going for £349.99 on the same sight. Quads are discontinued.

Anyway, have fun, don't worry too much about it and make sure the speakers are right for your room! :eek::rolleyes::)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis