[Q] Wall or Ceiling Mount for B&W 686

Jay_C

Jay_C

Junior Audioholic
Hi Guy

I’m going to be purchasing a pair of 686's as rears to complement my Front 685's.</SPAN>
Unfortunately I have a small room and can’t stand mount them. </SPAN>

Anyways my fronts are mounted on a brick wall my rears will be on a plaster board wall, I am intending using </SPAN>Heavy duty Spring toggle fitting </SPAN> in conjunction with </SPAN>B-Tech bracket</SPAN>

Can you advice if this is a viable option or would ceiling mount be better. The weight of the 686’s is 4.9Kg not clear if that each. </SPAN>

Thanks</SPAN>
Jay</SPAN>

C

canelli

Audioholic
I mounted a pair of Kef R300s (26lbs each) on the wall using something like the B-Tech bracket. I was forced to anchor the speaker by using a picture hook and a black zip tie thru the unused speaker connections. I preferred to secure it this way instead of placing any holes in the actual speaker. I was able to find a wall mountable picture hook with several holes in a flat section. I placed the hook between a screw and the metal bracket. Next, I drilled a small hole in the black plastic covering and was able to attach the speaker to the hook. It added just a few extra pennies in cost and a little extra labor.

Without the anchor, I found the Kefs just before they dropped. The side clamps allowed the speaker to slowly slip and rotate forward. This was due to the maximum tilt I used. With the anchor, no problems. The black zip tie is not really visible. I did anchor the mount into a stud.

The hook I used is shown below. They come in several sizes.

aa5ad46e-6175-44b8-80b5-a2efc27cd2d3_300.jpg

Last edited:
Jay_C

Jay_C

Junior Audioholic
Wow I really didn’t expect a plasterboard walls to support as much as 26lb. What fittings did you uses to secure the mount to the wall? That also a great idea with the zip ties. Could you provide a picture of your speaker please?<o:p></o:p>
Thanks<o:p></o:p>

Last edited by a moderator:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You can easily mount these brackets on drywall and support the weight of those speakers. The B-Tech manual shows in panel 1 that each bracket has 4 holes for mounting screws aligned vertically. That will allow you to mount them directly into a wooden stud.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/121/121BT77B.PDF

The manual also shows that it comes with 8 mounting screws and 8 plastic screw anchors. Keep the screws, but throw away those useless plastic anchors.

If you don't have one, get an inexpensive stud finder($15 or less), such as Zircon 62168 StudSensor - Amazon.com.

These stud finders allow you to easily find the edges of a 2×4, so you can always be sure you're drilling into the center.

If your studs aren't where you need and you must locate the speaker brackets on hollow drywall, you can use toggle bolts, but I prefer using molly bolts. Because your brackets have room for 4 mounting screws, I would expect that 2 normal size molly bolts per bracket would be enough. You are limited by the size of the holes in the bracket, so check that before you buy the largest heavy duty bolts you can find.

This web page explains all the different options you have:

Using Wall Anchors Including Molly and Toggle Bolts, Plastic Anchors and Expansion Anchors

C

canelli

Audioholic
Jay_C

I’ll try to get some pictures tomorrow. I wasn’t clear, but I used a stud for each mount. The speakers are mounted where someone could get hit if there were to fall. Also, I do not have a ton of knowledge with home construction materials so I tend to be very conservative.

C

canelli

Audioholic
I have been extremely busy with work, but I did want to post this to clear up what I did.

You can see the metal bracket, but the connecting zip tie isn't really visible. Excuse the spot where I need to touch up the wall paint. I installed the brackets higher then moved them down lower, and upper area needs some repainting.

kef-wall-mount.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis