Putting together my system from...

K

k_jupiter

Audiophyte
Hi all,

new here. I have an older Techniques 5.1 receiver. It's about 12 years old. Has lots of nice things like coax and fiber optic single input for audio. I have always run it with just a pair of Bose 301 speakers.

Got a good deal on a new JBL 6100 speaker set. Now I am looking at the back of the receiver, it has front left, front right, center, rear left and rear right. No subwoofer connections. Well it is 5.1. Must be some way to connect the subwoofer on the JBLs. There is the low freq input and a pair of RCA connectors labeled Left and right on the sub woofer.

So that is the first question. Where do I wire the Left and Right from? In parallel with the front L&R, Rear L&R?

Second question: Will the system sound better by replacing the front L&R JBL speakers with the Bose 301s?

tim in san jose

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
If the receiver is truly 5.1, there should be a sub/LFE pre-out(RCA). If not, you're screwed using that sub. What's the model number of the receiver?

Although..., does the receiver have any pre-outs, specifically for the L/R channels?

K

k_jupiter

Audiophyte
If the receiver is truly 5.1, there should be a sub/LFE pre-out(RCA). If not, you're screwed using that sub. What's the model number of the receiver?

Although..., does the receiver have any pre-outs, specifically for the L/R channels?
Straightened my head out last night. It is 5.1 it does have a subwoofer preout. The system is set up. it is not a Techniques, it is a kenwood VR-307. Amazing you can stare at something for 12 years and not register it.

The speaker system is set up but... I could not get the 5.1 to work in any mode using either the CD player or the DVD. I have found the manual for the 307 on line. I'll see if I can figure out the A vs B switches for the front channels and the Virtual surround sound settings on the receiver.

Thanks for your help. Any opinion as to Bose 301 vs. JBL 6100 satellites?

tim in san jos

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Page 12 Shows how to connect powered sub-woofer
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/1303167/Kenwood---VR-307---VR309pdf---Owners-Manual---English
and Page 15 shows you how to configure them.
Since this model didn't came with auto-configure mic you probably want to get/buy RS Analog SPL Meter to properly adjust the volume levels. Make sure to set all speakers size to "normal" NOT Large

You want to keep all fronts timbre matched or loose theater experience.

K

k_jupiter

Audiophyte
Page 12 Shows how to connect powered sub-woofer

Since this model didn't came with auto-configure mic you probably want to get/buy RS Analog SPL Meter to properly adjust the volume levels. Make sure to set all speakers size to "normal" NOT Large

You want to keep all fronts timbre matched or loose theater experience.
Thanks for the help. Went home at lunch and got it working. All is set except for the balancing. Good source for a RS Analog SPL Meter?

tim

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis