jeanseb

jeanseb

Audioholic
After switching a couple time from "2CH. Stereo" to "Pure Direct", I've realized that the Pure Direct mode didn't sound good at all on my speakers.

I did the same test in the store with the Paradigm Studio 60 and the Klipsch WF-35, but this time, it sounded really good?

What is the problem here? is it my AVR? My speakers? or maybe my room?

Thanks!

Z

Zaluss

Audioholic
Pure Direct mode for Yamaha speakers are supposed to bypass all the major circuitry within the receiver, using only the audio components for better sound.

Why it sounds worse? No idea.

A

autodevin

Enthusiast
By going pure direct your losing the benefit of the speaker circuitry and power. Its like pressing bypass on an effects unit.

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
Are you using a sub? Pure direct only outputs a signal to the two front speakers. Also, did you try the test with the same music you used at home? I used to use the parametric EQ all the time, but I found I always wanted to adjust it for different types of music. My setting improved some songs but made others worse. Eventually went to everything set to flat and then a true preamp without any EQ. Don't miss having an EQ at all now. Just my experience.

jeanseb

jeanseb

Audioholic
Are you using a sub? Pure direct only outputs a signal to the two front speakers. Also, did you try the test with the same music you used at home? I used to use the parametric EQ all the time, but I found I always wanted to adjust it for different types of music. My setting improved some songs but made others worse. Eventually went to everything set to flat and then a true preamp without any EQ. Don't miss having an EQ at all now. Just my experience.
Yeah I've use the same CD with the same track. In my case, the sound became old, without life. could it be the speakers?

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Depending on the material, you may be asking too much of your speakers. Pure direct disables the sub and any other processing like EQ. A speaker running full range needs to draw more power for the bass frequencies bith due to the lack of sub and because it takes more watts to get SPL in the lower frequencies. That's why most people recommend setting tower speakers as small when setting up a home theater receiver.

I can run my speakers pure direct for most jazz and classical but not for heavy metal. I'm not really sure that pure direct is all that anyway. A well designed receiver won't add much noise from the other processing anyway. If you are using EQ to make your system play better in the room, why turn that off for a tiny reduction in noise that you probably won't hear anyway. All for the privilege of making the amplifiers work harder for less bass.

Jim

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
AWWW...Pure Direct...I have blown many a woofer in PD and heavy scotch drinking....

I used to love listening to Jazz in PD. Somewhere along the way, I have become a bass junkie and hardly ever use PD anymore.

jeanseb

jeanseb

Audioholic
Thanks guys! I think this will always be a big mystery!

P.S.: Paradigm, I'm sorry the ear about your woofer, I don't have that problem since the parents freak out crazy with my twin 5000R's at 20%...

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
After switching a couple time from "2CH. Stereo" to "Pure Direct", I've realized that the Pure Direct mode didn't sound good at all on my speakers.

I did the same test in the store with the Paradigm Studio 60 and the Klipsch WF-35, but this time, it sounded really good?

What is the problem here? is it my AVR? My speakers? or maybe my room?

Thanks!
I am not very impressed with Pure Direct either so that's why I use the Straight mode to enable the subwoofer and I adjust the EQ to my liking. It's currently set to Flat.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
It's cool. I just take the woofers to my dealer, he laughs and shakes his head, then he gives me a new one and I am out the door.

It's actually been over a year since I blew one. It was always the Studio 40's that blew, once I went to the 100's it never happened again.
P.S.: Paradigm, I'm sorry the ear about your woofer, I don't have that problem since the parents freak out crazy with my twin 5000R's at 20%...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I love PURE DIRECT, but the problem is, it turns OFF all the LCD displays after a few seconds!!!:eek:

What's the fun in that?:D

I like being able to see "DTS-HD MASTR", "DTS-HD HI RES", "DOLBY TrueHD", and "MULTI CH DIRECT" on my LCD display.

If the display could be kept on all the time in Pure Direct, I would use Pure Direct 100% of the time.

I would also love it if they could make a LCD display of "DTS-HD MA PURE DIRECT" and DOLBY TrueHD PURE DIRECT".:D:D

DISCLAIMER: I don't think it sounds differently at all since I don't even use any kind of EQs or DSPs anyway.:D

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
I used to be a Pure Direct user for 2.0 audio, which is why I traded in my B&W 603s for 604s…tactile bass with out a sub...the 604s can really be pushed with out breaking a sweat and sound great for almost all types of music with out a sub.

But when I got a newer receiver that had Audyssey, I discovered that I much preferred the EQed results. Pure direct now sounds muddy in comparison, even with a treated room.

Last edited:
supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I feel similar to AcuDefTechGuy -- I love the Pure Direct sound. Especially for CDs: I still have a wide soundstage, but the music seems tighter and more focused.

I have on occasion used Pure Direct for multi-channel BDs, SACDs and DVD-As, but I'm not sure I hear that much of a difference. Too much sound flying around the room for me to be really sure.

cheers,
supervij

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Although I am no longer an "ANALOG" guy, I am still a PURIST by heart.:D

Old habbits die hard.:D

I think it depends on the situation. You just have to go with the sound that is best to you.

Now for car audio, that's a totally different story. In an equivalent "Pure Direct" mode, the sound in my car sounds like crap.:D

Thus, I have to EQ/TONE the heck out of my car audio to get it sounding good.:D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm a huge fan of PD mode in 2 channel sound. I like the way my towers sound in full range without the added bass from the sub. They only time I use the sub while listening to 2 channel stuff is when I'm listening to organ music. My towers can't give the weight and authority in the really deep bass movements but for all the other genres, my towers running full range is just great.

Like anything else PD is a personal choice. Its neither right nor wrong.

R

rethomps

Enthusiast
I'm having the same problem!!!

I was running psb alpha B1's in front of my Yamaha RXV 1500. I mainly listen to music. The Alpha's sound amazing in Pure Direct! It's bassically all I used on the amp. Recently however, I purchased some used image 2b's with plans on moving my alpha's to the rear. The images are a stop up from the alpha's. As I was eagerly hooking up my newly purchased images to the front I could only imagine that they would sound better. NOT THE CASE, at least not in pure direct. The images sounded muffled and lacked pronounceation in pure direct. Take them out of pure direct however, and they sound bettter than the B1's To this day I'm still not sure how the b1's could sound that much better!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis