PSU Upgrade Install

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I have an eMachines T5026.

I got my hands on this Antec PSU.

I have one of those wrist straps that I will clip onto the case.

My thought was to start unplugging and labeling the connectors on the PSU currently in the machine and identify like connectors on the new PSU. Then remove and replace the old PSU. In case you don't already know: I don't know much about anything, especially computers. Reason for upgrade is to upgrade ... actually it's kind of a preventive maintenance thing for a reputed weak link. I think the machine is just over 4 years old. I have installed a couple of 256 MB sticks of RAM to bring it up to 1 Gig. It's an XP OS.

Anything I should know before I proceed? Please remember that I am dumb. ;) :rolleyes:

Mika75

Mika75

Audioholic
I've built and worked on many a pc now, never worn a wrist strap but then....if it can happen it will huh. :rolleyes:

The PSU swap should be very easy, I don't think u will need to label anything as the plugs will only fit certain sockets. Before I work on any pc I like to drain the power from the system by unplugging the PSU, then hold the pc's power on button for 3-5 secs.

Also try to keep the various unused power cables neat and tidy, away from fans and sharp edges, zip ties work wonders.. :)

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
Please remember that I am dumb. ;) :rolleyes:
Who could forget that?

But seriously wrist straps are for sissies. Just keep it plugged in and you'll be fine. The great thing about a PSU is you can't jam the wrong connector in anything. Labeling is not really needed. The connectors you'll definitely need to hook up after you take the old PSU out are:

- 20/24 pin main power connector, it's the biggest connector on any PSU
- 6/8 pin 12v connector, on some older motherboards this connector is a 6 pin, newer is 8 pin
- every HDD will have a power connector as well as it's interface connector, whether it is IDE or SATA.
- Some video cards need 6 ping connectors as well.
- lastly your optical drives will need the same connectors that your HDD's have, one power and one interface.

That's really all the connections you'll have to make. You'll see some two pin connectors on the bottom right hand corner of the motherboard. These are to connect your power/reset buttons and your HDD activity light, DO NOT REMOVE THESE. If you do remove them on accident you'll have to dig out your motherboard manual to correctly attach them again.

Just remember when you push that power button after putting a new PSU always keep your fingers crossed.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't use the wrist straps either, but I see the Geek Squad at Best Buy use them!:D

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I use the straps, 6 bucks for piece of mind;) I have had many of friend fry a board changing ram out or replacing cards while not grounded.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Never worn strap in last 15 years I probably replaced terabytes of ram, gazzilion of processors and add-on cards, controller, mezzanine boards etc.... (I used to work in Intel test lab)
Never had component failed. The trick is try not to touch chips or the contacts.

Tip: Before disconnecting try to remember where old PSU was connected to, if needed (and really getting to 3 year old level) take pictures :D
But labels not necessary, since if plug fits - it's in right place (or you are very, very strong :p )

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I use the straps, 6 bucks for piece of mind;) I have had many of friend fry a board changing ram out or replacing cards while not grounded.
Thank you !!! :rolleyes:

Finally, those other guys probably change spark plugs with the motor running. :eek: :D

Tip: ... if needed (and really getting to 3 year old level) take pictures :D
Now I feel that you are beginning to grasp the severity of technotardation I live every day of my life with. I took pic's of the back before I unplugged everything but not having a good enough close up of where my audio was plugged in caused some confusion. :eek:

It's not clearly marked on the card! :rolleyes:

I ended up plugging it all back in to test out a like new monitor that I snagged off Craigslist for $60. My old one succumbed to injuries it sustained over a year ago. It fought hard but now it's toast.

Is my computer going to run better once I install the PSU because of more stable voltages or something. Remember to keep this simple. I know the technofire burns strong in some of you but I would like to understand the responses. :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Now I feel that you are beginning to grasp the severity of technotardation I live every day of my life with. I took pic's of the back before I unplugged everything but not having a good enough close up of where my audio was plugged in caused some confusion. :eek:
It's not clearly marked on the card! :rolleyes:
:eek::eek::D

ROTFLMAO *

* Link provided for the "technologically challenged" :p

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
First, dunk it in a bucket of water and swirl it around. Gotta make sure it's clean!

Then, just plug it in. This way when you turn it on, the heat build up helps it dry faster.

Ok, on a serious note. Get a large paper clip or something. Bend it. Stick it in the hole on the power supply connector that matches up to the green wire. Stick the other end of the paper clip into any hole that matches up to a black wire. There's one right next to the green wire.

Plug it into a wall socket. Flip the switch that should be on the back. It will power on. This first test will make sure the unit itself works before you go install it all and find out it doesn't work. I've saved myself a lot of time on a couple installs doing this.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
ALWAYS wear a wrist strap so you don't go into anaphylactic shock.

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
NFW :D

Why would I keep it plugged in? So I can get shocked? :eek:
If you can't pull your hand away from a good zap fast enough I dare to question your manhood.

Seriously though, you keep it plugged it to keep it grounded. Just turn the switch to off on the back. They only make the sissies at Best Buy use straps because they're liable for everything. I have built a dozen or so systems and changed out pieces countless times without a wrist strap and have never had a problem. If you do buy a wrist strap make sure it's pink to go with your new found feminine persona. ;)

It's so ridiculously hard to damage PC components these days, especially having to deal with power supplies. Good PSU's have a million safety features to keep you and your stuff safe.

Last edited:
Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
Weren't you supposed to make me a 400 dollar preamp with all of the features I wanted?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Seriously though, you keep it plugged it to keep it grounded. Just turn the switch to off on the back.
The stock PSU didn't have an off switch. I unplugged it from the wall, wore a wrist strap and any time somebody with a user name like yours tells me to leave something plugged in that I'm working on ... NFW. :p

I took the old PSU apart and took a couple of pic's. Looks like something was getting warm.

Here's the corresponding area inside the cover. Definitely an area that was getting toasty.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis