PSB Image T65 and positioning close to wall

L

Latent

Full Audioholic

I'm looking to upgrade my main speakers (14 year old JBL TI-600). Found someone moving overseas selling their 8 year old PSB image T65's for NZ$800 (US$500). May be a bit expensive and not sure if it's a great deal or not but not many other good options around here.

One thing I am wondering about is how close I can position these back against the wall as they are a full 20"deep! They are front ported which may help them sit back closer to the wall but not sure if it will cause problems having them this close. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Dimensions: 8 1/2 x 39 x 20” / 203 x 965 x 508mm

Looking at these because they seem on paper to have a similar design to my current rear speakers (Paradigm Mini-Monitor V3) both with aluminium tweeters and similar 6 1/2" bass drivers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I try to place my main front speakers 12" or more from the front wall. But if space doesn't allow it, just keep the speakers as far away from the wall as possible. To some people, that may be 6" or even 3". Just experiment with the distance and sound. If it sounds great to you @ 3" or 6", then go with that.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed, and those are front ported so close proximity to walls should not be an issue. But inches do matter, so don't just set them and forget them. Really listen and get them set just right for your room!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have the little brothers, the T45s. These speakers need to be pulled from the wall or else the bass will sound boomy and bloated. Here's a pic of my setup.. 18" from the side walls and 26" from the back wall.

upload_2016-2-9_13-25-6.jpeg

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the replies! Yeah my main concern is massive depth of these speakers at a full 20" deep. Add that to your 26" off the back wall and you won't be able to stop tripping over them!

I have the little brothers, the T45s.
View attachment 17584
3db, how do you rate your PSB Image speakers?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the replies! Yeah my main concern is massive depth of these speakers at a full 20" deep. Add that to your 26" off the back wall and you won't be able to stop tripping over them!

3db, how do you rate your PSB Image speakers?
I really like them. They are very neutral sounding and throw a nice deep soundstage. They go deep enough in bass for most music. They're revealing to a fault where a bad recording will sound bad. They hide nothing. On the flip side, good recordings sound fantastic.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I owned those and they are a nice speaker for the money. They can really get loud. I ran mine with subs so I had the crossed at 80 hz the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis