WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
IGN is Reporting that the lack of a video scaler in the PS3 is causing problems for certain displays.

It looks like whatever the content renders at, is how it's displayed. For example, quite a few games say 720p. So if you have a TV (like my previous mitsubishi) that doesn't support 720p (my Mitsu was 480i, 480p, 1080i), then the PS3 will only render the content in 480p, thus losing any HD quality.

DVD's only display in 480p and Blu-Ray titles only in 1080i.

Just a fair warning to anyone looking to pick up a PS3 this weekend! :)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Is this a TV limitation or a PS3 limitation. That doesn't make sense. (I am asking about the 1080i not the scaling)

J

Jedi2016

Full Audioholic
I read the article, and I think the section on Blu-Ray wasn't very well written. Not very clear, at any rate. It starts off by saying "Blu-Ray will display in 1080i". But the article itself is talking about PS3's limitations with 1080i displays. Since 1080p displays can render practically every resolution known to man, it's a non-issue. It did later say that the maximum PS3 that the PS3 could play Blu-Ray at was 1080p. Talk about a typo.. I think he meant "resolution". But it looks like the system will still spit out 1080p Blu-Ray if you've got a 1080p TV.

The problem comes if you have a 720p TV. Your only choices are 1080i and 480p. You have do go through this huge rigamarole to force the PS3 to spit out a 720p signal.

The core problem, it seems, has to do with the fact that the PS3 has no scaler. It has issues with both up- and down-scaling, which is quite disappointing, especially since their competition, whom Sony has always been all "They don't have real HD, we have real HD" about, can support any and all resolutions, smoothly upscaling and downscaling without any problems.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis