PS3 Controller Ideas

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
Hey everbody,

I just found a really great way to charge my ps3 controllers while only giving up one USB jack on the ps3...just pick up a four port usb hub, plug it into one of the usb slots on the ps3, plug in the 3 spare controllers..and Voila! If anyone has any more tips and ps3 tricks, put them in this thread, please:eek:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They sell adapters so you can plug it directly into the wall and charge while you are playing.

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
That'd be great except I have no outlets left...:rolleyes:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You don't have other outlets in your room? :) You can also just buy a long USB cable. What would you need 3 extra controllers for? I have 2 and that has been fine for me so far, but I am the only one that uses them so 1 charges while I use the other....are you having PS3 parties or what?

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
Well yes there are a couple outlets lefts, but I like to keep all my PS equipment in the same general area...and the green and blue lights on the Usb hub look cool. Plus the hub was only 10.99. Yes, we do have ps3 parties, I have two friends with PS3...we play resistance until the wee hours of the morning and need extra controllers ready ha ha.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Are you using that one? It doesn't appear to have it's own power and those usually say don't connect any devices that have any significant power draw so I don't know that it would be the best choice for charging. I can get hubs for $5-10 locally too.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Couldn't you just plug the ps3 controller into your computer to charge it? Not like the computer would know the difference, its just another USB device.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Ahh, I misread it, I need to slow down a little!

I wouldn't think a video game controller would have a significant power draw, enough to do any damage. When I used to game on my PC and had a game pad I had it connected through a very similar port, with no A/C, adapter. The controller had all sorts of stupid features: rumble, motion sensing crap etc..and I never had any problems in the couple years I used it.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The problem is that some USB hubs without their own power supply cannot get enough power from the single computer USB port to charge multiple devices.

Note that it takes way more current to charge a device than it does to simply run one.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The problem is that some USB hubs without their own power supply cannot get enough power from the single computer USB port to charge multiple devices.

Note that it takes way more current to charge a device than it does to simply run one.
That's what I was getting at. It may not cause damage exactly, but it may not charge correctly either or take way longer to charge. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere what type of battery is in the controller, but I am assuming lithium Ion.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
A lot of cell phones and cameras have USB chargers today. Blackberry, Motorola RAZR, and a lot of other phones use chargers that would work with the controller.

While it's still not perfect, it's nice to see some companies moving towards standardization for chargers.

A lot of USB ports "die" this way.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I can use USB for my phone from the PC, but they used their own connector on the phone side in order to make it so you have to buy their cable :(

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I can use USB for my phone from the PC, but they used their own connector on the phone side in order to make it so you have to buy their cable :(
Motorola does one worse (which is why i'll NEVER buy another motorola product again, ever):

They use a standard mini USB connector for the charger (great!) and the sync (another great!). To actually sync the phone with the computer? You need to buy their $20 connectivity kit. So to get the privilege of taking the photos off of your phone, you need to either email them to yourself (and pay a service fee) or buy a $20 connectivity package. Worse, the phone won't charge when plugged into the computer without the motorola software. And you can't sync it via bluetooth either, even thought the phone is bluetooth enabled. I was going to throw it in the Delaware, but my wife took it and i got a Sony Ericsson. Not only is it a better phone, but it can actually sync with the computer, for free, via bluetooth. End of rant :)

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Crazy. I've got a Moto Q that has a mini USB connector on the phone and charges just fine over any USB connection or charger. Also syncs to the computer using standard, free Microsoft ActiveSync software.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Crazy. I've got a Moto Q that has a mini USB connector on the phone and charges just fine over any USB connection or charger. Also syncs to the computer using standard, free Microsoft ActiveSync software.
Mine was a Razr. They have to enable sync on the Q since it's running windows mobile.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Motorola does one worse (which is why i'll NEVER buy another motorola product again, ever):

They use a standard mini USB connector for the charger (great!) and the sync (another great!). To actually sync the phone with the computer? You need to buy their $20 connectivity kit. So to get the privilege of taking the photos off of your phone, you need to either email them to yourself (and pay a service fee) or buy a $20 connectivity package. Worse, the phone won't charge when plugged into the computer without the motorola software. And you can't sync it via bluetooth either, even thought the phone is bluetooth enabled. I was going to throw it in the Delaware, but my wife took it and i got a Sony Ericsson. Not only is it a better phone, but it can actually sync with the computer, for free, via bluetooth. End of rant :)
It is pretty much the same for me. If I want to plug directly into my systems, I have to buy their cable which is only available in a package with headphones and some software crap that I don't want or need, just the cable....which is $35-40. I bought a 1G micro SD card and a USB-SD adapter for like $25 and then when I want to transfer stuff I just do it that way.

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
Couldn't you just plug the ps3 controller into your computer to charge it? Not like the computer would know the difference, its just another USB device.
Yes I could and I have in the past. but my home pc is on the other side of the room...too far for me. (lazy i know)

T

twoksl2

Audioholic Intern

i also have a razr, and the onl way i charge it is with my computer. i also sync it quite frequently, and i never bought the connectivity kit.

but then, i have a mac also. although come to think of it, it charged just fine from my parents dell....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis