Ps3 against Mac+external BR drive to play on a soundboard

N

Nattoha

Audiophyte
Dear all,

I am new to this community and I am yet to know all the details related to the question I will ask but please bear with me.

I am planning to play a blu-ray (movie is a classical music concert) and the current sound system of where I plan to do so consists of a mac, a sound mixer, 4 speakers and a video projector. Problem is that the mac does not read Blu-ray:(

As such I am wondering, to get the best quality sound possible (video quality matters less given it is a concert), which of the below should opt for
  1. USB BR external drive + current config
  2. Playstation 3 + current config
Now I guess the answer will depend on how each current components is connected to each other and also, in the case of option 2, whether I can plug in HDMI cable or if I have to go with RCA.

Unfortunately I do not have details on those points but will find out tonight (Japan time) as I will go check the current setup. However I will bring my ps3 and all cables I could possibly think of (at least the ones which might be useful :)) so I can do a sound test and will probably not be able to do another sound test until the D Day.

That is why, even though there is some guesswork involved, I took the liberty of posting here.

Please let me know if you need more details and I will try to answer those as much as I can.

Many thanks.

N

Nattoha

Audiophyte
Many thanks. I actually stumbled upon the link you just shared before posting here which made me wonder about the USB Blu-ray drive since I originally thought (was wrong obviously) that those device were not able to handle HD audio.
I do not own an external usb driver and wanted to know, based on assumptions (HDMI VS RCA, or how the components are connected) what would/could be the best, before I buy one, if a ps3 could do the same or a better job.

Thanks in advance for the help.

N

Nattoha

Audiophyte
I now have some info on the current config.
The Mac is connected to:
- sound mixer via RCA and the sound mixer has no HDMI port
- video projector

The sound mixer is connected to 4 speakers.

I will get more info on the sound system later and post more details.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis