Proper distance from a 52" DLP TV?

M

Maynard

Audiophyte
Okay, this may seem like a dumb question, but I am new to large screen and HDTV...

My new 52" Mitsubishi DLP WD-52525 came a few days ago and is in the basement. Is there a rule of thumb for the recommended sitting / viewing distance from a large screen DLP TV? Something like a basic formula of how far to sit back from the TV based on the size of the screen.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The rule of thumb is 1.5 to 2 times the screen width for 16x9 TVs, but of course it's really personal preference.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It's actually 1.5 to 2 times screen width for HDTV material displayed on your TV. For DVD you should move back further, and for STANDARD TV (cable/DSS) it is something like 4 times the screen width for optimal viewing.

Obviously, 4 times screen width (16+ feet) is not likely practical or something you want, but you will definitely pay the price for the quality you get as you move closer and closer to a lower quality source material.

It amazes me how many people get 16:9 HD capable televisions, then don't get HD cable or DSS... or off air. You can't truly experience the quality of your HD television until you run true 1080i or 720p material through it. And no, an upconverted DVD is not ever going to be the same as HDTV.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
BMXTRIX said:
It's actually 1.5 to 2 times screen width for HDTV material displayed on your TV. For DVD you should move back further, and for STANDARD TV (cable/DSS) it is something like 4 times the screen width for optimal viewing.
Is that times screen width or screen diagonal ? I had always seen 2x diagonal before...

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
For widescreen TV (16:9) the recommendation is 1.5 to 2 times the screen width. For 4:3 TV it is 2 to 3 times the screen diagonal. Remember though that these are just guidelines and people can and do sit closer or further away according to their own preferences.

The distinction between HD and SD for calculating viewing distance is irrelevant. You are not going to move your widescreen TV to 4 times the screen width when you view SD material on it and it move it back to 2 times the screen width when viewing HD on it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis