Projector Screen Size

R

ralexander9646

Audiophyte
I wanted to get some advice on a maximum screen size my entertainment room. I would like to use as large a screen as possible and am considering a 180" diagonal fixed screen. I have used a viewing distance calculator that I found online and believe that the screen size that I want to use may be okay but I want to be sure. The room has a kitchen in it that will have bar stools around it. The primary seating location is approximately 16' from the screen though which is a stretch for a 180" screen. The bar stools behind the island will be around 28' from the screen. Maybe I should not factor this distance in though. Attached is an image of the planned entertainment room. So much for attaching an image...I haven't posted 6 times so never mind...I just wasted my time I guess.

All help/opinions etc. are appreciated.

Thank you,

Roger

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
You want to size the screen for the 16ft distance. If you go too big, in the interest of accommodating the 28ft distance, the folks sitting close will get screen door effect.

At 16ft a 143.5" diagonal screen will give the 36 degree viewing angle recommended by THX. SMPTE is less at 30 degrees, so smaller 120" will do. In fact, even 125" will suffice for fully resolving 1080p from 16ft.

From here, http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
One other thing to do that's a bit less scientific is, go to the movies and do a rough measure the screen width by pacing it off. Then roughly measure distance from the screen to the seat you find to be the most pleasing to your eyes. Then use your seat distance at home as part of the ratio to figure out what size screen to get in order to give you the same-ish sort of look.

Depending on how tall you are, a person's stride is roughly 2-3.5 ft. For instance, I'm 5'4" and my stride is roughly 2'6".

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Go with the closest location. Believe me a 120" screen is still pretty big even from 30 feet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis