Projector screen height

Mad-Max

Mad-Max

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys,

question:

I am trying to find out if it's a big issue having a 106" screen approximately 4-5 inches from the ceiling. I am being told that it's way to close and I should get a 96" screen to avoid any reflection issues on the ceiling and also to be able to have it at the recommended 28" from the floor.

My ceiling height is (H)6'8" x (W)13'6" x (L)24".

Thanks

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, tough ball of wax eh? It will come down to compromises. Whether you choose audio or video first, you can ameliorate for the one that is more compromised. If too close to ceiling, paint a darker flat color. If OTOH too close to floor, you can acoustically treat the area to help out. If unwilling to do either, then you have to figure it out yourself. The 10" you give up is significant, but sometimes it's what might be best. Another possible solution is to go 96", and simply scoot the seating further up.

Another consideration is the ideal height respective to the height of your eyes, which is about 1/6 to 1/3 of screen height to your eyes. Therefore, if your eyes are at about 36" (will be close to that with theater seating), your eyes will be level to somewhere between 8.65" to 17.31" from the bottom of the screen.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It's pretty close, but if your ceiling is flat black it won't be a problem IMO.

Mad-Max

Mad-Max

Audioholic Intern
Thx guys,

aslong as the flat black will prevent most of the reflection then I think I will be safe with the 106", and yes my ceiling will be all flat black and my walls are also partially flat black and grey walls.

Mad

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thx guys,

aslong as the flat black will prevent most of the reflection then I think I will be safe with the 106", and yes my ceiling will be all flat black and my walls are also partially flat black and grey walls.

Mad
Check out, in order, the following flat black paints:

1 Rosco Supersaturated Velour 6003

2 Benjamin Moore flat black

3 Behr Mouse Ears flat black

The first one likely be the most expensive, and also the most difficult to apply. The second is probably a nice compromise among all things. The last might* be the cheapest and easiest to apply, but probably more reflective in nature.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis