Projector recommendations

F

fitzdo

Audiophyte
Hey all, was thinking of having a projector for my mums birthday so we could have a slideshow of photos and maybe put a movie on outside. We will be doing it in a few months so was hoping to have them project on the wall, maybe outside if the weather is nice. Have seen an Epson LCD projector and another Epson HD one and a Benq projector to hire on Fat Lama. There are quite a few on there and am not too sure which one would be best for me? Anyone have any similar experiences of using projectors without screens? Would love to know which you think would work for me?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers, Fearne

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Hey all, was thinking of having a projector for my mums birthday so we could have a slideshow of photos and maybe put a movie on outside. We will be doing it in a few months so was hoping to have them project on the wall, maybe outside if the weather is nice. Have seen an Epson LCD projector and another Epson HD one and a Benq projector to hire on Fat Lama. There are quite a few on there and am not too sure which one would be best for me? Anyone have any similar experiences of using projectors without screens? Would love to know which you think would work for me?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers, Fearne
I recommend a long throw projector with a high brightness rating, as short throw / ultra short throw projection tends to reveal flaws in the projection surface more prominently. Of course if you plan ever to use the projector indoors, you should take the throw distance in the room into consideration. You can use the calculator at Projector Central to find one that meets your throw and resolution requirements.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Fat Lama is a rental site, so it doesn't sound like it is for ownership. Just a one and done scenario. In which case, it barely matters. I do agree that a short throw doesn't make a lot of sense though. Even going beyond a 1024x768 projector may not matter if it is just photos viewed under non-critical conditions on the side of a house for one evening. Lumens matter though as well as the size someone is hoping to get. And, I would stick with LCD as you will get more lumens out of the projector. I would probably want a 4,000+ lumen projector though for a punchier image. Also something with decent contrast (1,000:1 or better typically).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis