Projector for gaming/home use

H

hemant

Audioholic Intern
Hi folks,

Please help me out as i am damn confused to select projector a projector that fulfills my requirements for home use (for hometheater) and gaming purpose (ps4 - minimizing input lag).

My requirements are:

* 1080p
*3D
*should be awesome for gaming
* Not very expensive

Epson EH-TW5300 is on my list..
but Benq mx528p is suggested by a local dealer..

please help me out to choose the right thing.. and feel free to recommend any projector that is available in India.. my max budget is 75000 INR i.e. ~999$.
it will be good enough if anyone can help me out to save as much money as possible.

Thanks alot in advance..

Looking forward to have wonderful recommendations and advices.. :) :)

R!zz0

R!zz0

Audioholic Intern
I'm an Epson guy so my advice will be biased, but i have heard good things about other projectors like Panasonic, BenQ and few others. With your budget, i would lean more towards the Epson Home Cinema 2040. I don't know what the pricing is in India, but i would go with Epson Home Cinema 3700. Both the 2040 and the 3700 are great for gaming as well.

I am going to go with the Epson Home Cinema 3700.

Good luck!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The Epson you have listed, the Epson EH-TW5300, is the European version of the 2040/2045 model. It's certainly a decent performer for gaming, but lacks the black level which is inherent in the cheaper DLP models, most notably the BenQ HT2050.

Both will have similar response time in gaming, but the DLP models will outperform LCD in terms of on-screen response. DLP is just a faster technology, which makes things look smoother and more accurate.

The BenQ MX528, if I'm reading things correctly, is a 1024x768 business projector, and any dealer trying to sell you that for home theater is a moron who has no business being in business. What a twat... Seriously.

The W1110 is the European version of the HT2050, and is the one I would recommend over the Epson. I like Epson, and Epson looks good, but LCD doesn't look better than DLP at this price level, so I would recommend the W1110 over the TW5300.

But, these are both entry level units, and have the flaws associated with entry level units. Most notably, weak black levels. But, they are both true 1080p models, and both look stunningly good compared to what we had a decade ago.

H

hemant

Audioholic Intern
I'm an Epson guy so my advice will be biased, but i have heard good things about other projectors like Panasonic, BenQ and few others. With your budget, i would lean more towards the Epson Home Cinema 2040. I don't know what the pricing is in India, but i would go with Epson Home Cinema 3700. Both the 2040 and the 3700 are great for gaming as well.

I am going to go with the Epson Home Cinema 3700.

Good luck!
thanks alot @R!zz0 for ur suggestion.. but as i checked.. epson home cinema 3700 isn't available in india.. :(
so can you please comment on the model Epson EH-TW5300, i would love that..

and with that..

room's size is 16ftx12ft
height of room 10ft.

can you please suggest me the size of projector screen i should get..
and any suggestion for me to keep in mind as my theater room is under construction.. (can be related to anything with room's acoustics..or projector/screen)..

thanks alot in advance.. :)

H

hemant

Audioholic Intern
The Epson you have listed, the Epson EH-TW5300, is the European version of the 2040/2045 model. It's certainly a decent performer for gaming, but lacks the black level which is inherent in the cheaper DLP models, most notably the BenQ HT2050.

Both will have similar response time in gaming, but the DLP models will outperform LCD in terms of on-screen response. DLP is just a faster technology, which makes things look smoother and more accurate.

The BenQ MX528, if I'm reading things correctly, is a 1024x768 business projector, and any dealer trying to sell you that for home theater is a moron who has no business being in business. What a twat... Seriously.

The W1110 is the European version of the HT2050, and is the one I would recommend over the Epson. I like Epson, and Epson looks good, but LCD doesn't look better than DLP at this price level, so I would recommend the W1110 over the TW5300.

But, these are both entry level units, and have the flaws associated with entry level units. Most notably, weak black levels. But, they are both true 1080p models, and both look stunningly good compared to what we had a decade ago.
Hey! @BMXTRIX i really appreciate ur views and comments.. and thanks alot for your time.. but as i checked... the benq model that you suggested is exceeding 25000/- inr from my budget.. so as per your review.. i would take epson as the best bet within my budget..

can you also please have a look at my previous reply to R!zz0 and suggest my anything that would be good for me.. i am open to any kind of suggestions..

thank you very much! :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Screen size should be 10" to 12" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance. Typically 120" to 150" is quite common and is supported by both the Epson and the BenQ models listed.

Make sure to pull 2 HDMI and 2 Cat-5e to the projector location along with power, or leave a pathway to the projector from the equipment location for future cabling and a single HDMI cable.

The Epson TW5300 will likely need to be mounted with the lens a few inches BELOW the top of the screen. This is just the way that particular model is designed.

Lighting and paint color are the most important factors in home theater design. Multiple zones of recessed lighting on dimmers and LOTS of lighting. Dark paint, dark walls, dark ceiling, dark carpet.

Room acoustics are better asked and answered by someone other than me.

H

hemant

Audioholic Intern
Screen size should be 10" to 12" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance. Typically 120" to 150" is quite common and is supported by both the Epson and the BenQ models listed.

Make sure to pull 2 HDMI and 2 Cat-5e to the projector location along with power, or leave a pathway to the projector from the equipment location for future cabling and a single HDMI cable.

The Epson TW5300 will likely need to be mounted with the lens a few inches BELOW the top of the screen. This is just the way that particular model is designed.

Lighting and paint color are the most important factors in home theater design. Multiple zones of recessed lighting on dimmers and LOTS of lighting. Dark paint, dark walls, dark ceiling, dark carpet.

Room acoustics are better asked and answered by someone other than me.
@BMXTRIX i will keep everything in mind.. thankyou :)
and
as my room's size is L - 16ft , B- 12ft, H- 9ft ... so what would be the perfect screen size i should go for..?? as of now.. i am thinking to get 8ftx5ft screen..
what are your views in this.. ?
and based on the screen size.. can you please also suggest how far shall i place the projector for ceiling mount.. ??
thanks alot in advance :)

R!zz0

R!zz0

Audioholic Intern
I'm sure this will help you out

forward it to 38 seconds.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
@BMXTRIX i will keep everything in mind.. thankyou :)
and
as my room's size is L - 16ft , B- 12ft, H- 9ft ... so what would be the perfect screen size i should go for..?? as of now.. i am thinking to get 8ftx5ft screen..
what are your views in this.. ?
and based on the screen size.. can you please also suggest how far shall i place the projector for ceiling mount.. ??
If you are putting the screen on the 16' wall, then your seating will be about 11' eyes to screen, so about a 110" to 133" diagonal would be typical depending on where you like to sit in a theater. The video above is correct, but in recent years I've found over and over and over that people actually like to go slightly, to significantly larger than typical recommendations. So, the professional recommendation is dated at this point. So, there is no 'perfect' size without first knowing where you are going to sit, and also where you like to sit in a movie theater.

If you like sitting a bit closer in a theater, then a 120" diagonal may be the sweet spot. If you like sitting really close, then go to 133" diagonal. If you like sitting more towards the back/middle, then a 110" diagonal is correct.

Screens are measured in diagonal typically, not height and width. And you MUST get a 16:9 screen. So, 8'x4.5' is fine, but really, that's a 110" diagonal 16:9 screen, which is a common size.

If sitting at 11', I would probably get the 120" diagonal if I wasn't sure. I've had a 106" diagonal I viewed from 12' away, and I absolutely believe that it was too small.

For where to mount the projector, you must first pick the projector.
Assuming the TW5300...
Now go here:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson_Europe-EH-TW5300-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Set the image diagonal to the size of the screen you will use (I will say 120" diagonal), and you will see the Throw Range is between 10'8" to 12'10". The 'default' distance is in the middle of that range at 11'8", but you can have the LENS TO SCREEN distance anywhere between that 10'8" to 12'10".

If your mounting the screen on the 16' wall, and the projector is mounted 12' away, against the back of the room, then your lens to screen distance will actually be about 11' lens to screen. That's pretty tight for a 120" diagonal, but it does work.

H

hemant

Audioholic Intern
oh.. now i am clear with my products and my requirements.. thanks alot @BMXTRIX and @R!zz0 for all your explanations.. it really means alot.. because of you guys.. i saved atleast 10000/- INR, that i would have given to the guy who does the mounting and deciding these screen and other factors.. now i dont need them.. thanks alot :)
now what my final call is..
Epson TW 5300 @ 66500/- INR (the final price i got from dealer :D )
Screen size 9'x5'
projector distance from screen - 11.5'
please let me know if the calculation above is wrong .. :)

and one more thing.. can you please me what Gauge speaker wire i should go for..
as i have-
pioneer VSX 329K
Taga Harmony TAV-606 SE

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis