Projector Comparison Brightness & Black Level

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Here is a comparison among projectors from projectorreviews.com.

The Brightness is easy to quantify (lumens).

But the Black Levels are not so easy to quantify?

It seems like the best black levels and color accuracy are from the JVC LCos, with the Sony LCos, Panasonic 4000, Epson 8500, & Optoma HD81LV/HD8600 coming close behind.

View attachment 8516

What I'm a little bit concerned about in going from my current Optoma HD81-LV to the JVCs is the brightness.

Even with the lamp on LOW MODE, the Optoma HD81-LV cranks out about 1,200 lumens in Best Mode!:eek:

The Optoma HD81-LV's Best Mode, Lamp on HIGH mode cranks out about 1,500 lumens!!!:eek:

The DLA-RS25 cranks out 722 lumens in Best Mode, Lamp on HIGH mode.

I'm thinking that my Optoma projector is actually TOO BRIGHT for my own good.

And when I go to a JVC RS25, the 722 lumens is perfect for my own good?:D

Last edited:
basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
There's no such thing as "too bright" in a projector. :)
I wish projectors had the ability to produce the intensity of the sun, so that we can take advantage of the new digital cinema cameras with 14-16 f-stops of dynamic range (the human eye sports 14 f-stops). Movies could be shot with a flatter gamma curve and bright scenes would truly be bright. An indoor scene might be 2,000 lux and a sunlit scene would be around 100,000 lux.
Today's projectors can muster enough light for an indoor scene and that's about it. The rest of the range is compressed to fit a rather limited dynamic range. It's like a stereo system that tops out at 50dB SPL, if an analogy with audio helps illustrate the problem.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There's no such thing as "too bright" in a projector. :)

I wish projectors had the ability to produce the intensity of the sun...
I wonder why most companies don't make more 1,500-postcalibrated Lumens?

For example, my Optoma HD81-LV is ~ 1,500 postcalibrated lumens.

Optoma now replaces the HD81-LV with the HD8600, which has ~700 postcalibrated lumens.

That is more than TWICE LESS lumens!!!

WHY?

I hope the new LED & Laser projectors produce 1,500+ postcalibrated lumens.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis