Projector automatically shutting down???

C

cjschrot

Audioholic Intern
OK, I have a Panasonic PT-AE1000U. Just replaced the lamp after 3 years of great performance and ever since replacement I have the same problem:

About 2 minutes after turning on my system the projector shuts off. I have to power down the UPS, immediately power it back up, then projector will turn on immediately (no cool down time) and will run fine for hours.

I thought it might be the UPS unit so I tried just plugging into the wall outlet. Same problem. Once the projector shuts off (in about 2 minutes) I have to unplug from the wall, plug back in, and then the projector will run fine for hours.

(If I try to turn the projector back on without unplugging/re-setting it won't work....it's like it's stuck in cool down mode).

Anyone have a reason why this just started happening after the replacement bulb? Is it related to the bulb or just projector dying on me?:confused::confused::confused:

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
OK, I have a Panasonic PT-AE1000U. Just replaced the lamp after 3 years of great performance and ever since replacement I have the same problem:

About 2 minutes after turning on my system the projector shuts off. I have to power down the UPS, immediately power it back up, then projector will turn on immediately (no cool down time) and will run fine for hours.

I thought it might be the UPS unit so I tried just plugging into the wall outlet. Same problem. Once the projector shuts off (in about 2 minutes) I have to unplug from the wall, plug back in, and then the projector will run fine for hours.

(If I try to turn the projector back on without unplugging/re-setting it won't work....it's like it's stuck in cool down mode).

Anyone have a reason why this just started happening after the replacement bulb? Is it related to the bulb or just projector dying on me?:confused::confused::confused:
Make sure it's not full of dust. That makes things overheat. Was the replacement bulb generic or from the manufacturer?

C

cjschrot

Audioholic Intern
I don't think it's overheating because once I re-set it runs for hours....The replacement bulb was a Panasonic part from projectorpeople.com (same place I bought the projector).

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Did you reset the clock on the lamp in the menu?
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

I was cornfused until majorloser brought this up, which I had forgotten about with Pana PJs (never owned one).

Here is a partial copy/paste from another forum for the 3000, but hopefully it's not too different from the 1000:

The lamp could explode and the small glass particles could damage the PJ. Also if you keep on using the bulb past 2,000 hs the manufacturer could deny warranty (if you still got one at that time).
I think that the possibilities of a lamp exploding AND damaging the PJ are very low. So, if your lamp is still strong, reset the counter and enjoy.

To reset the counter (from manual):
Resetting the LAMP RUNTIME
If the lamp usage time has passed 2 000 hours (when LAMP POWER has been set to NORMAL), the projector will switch to standby mode after approximately 10 minutes of operation. The resetting procedure should thus be completed within 10 minutes.
1. Connect the power cord to the projector and a wall outlet, and switch the MAIN POWER on.
2. Switch the POWER button.
3. Press the MENU button to display the menu.
4. Select OPTION and press ENTER.
5. Select LAMP RUNTIME.
6. Press and hold the ENTER button for approximately 3 seconds.
7. The confirmation screen will be displayed and select OK.
8. Switch off the POWER button to reset the duration of the LAMP RUNTIME.
9. Confirm the duration of time in LAMP RUNTIME is reset to "0".

Notice that, even if you reset the lamp runtime, there is an special menu ("service menu") that counts the times you reset the lamp and the total hours of the PJ.
Lemme look if there are directions specific to the 1000 . . . Uh Oh, maybe I shouldn't have looked, it's possible that there is a sticking iris . . . may just need some lube?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1271278

Another related thread. Unfortunately no search results within the owner's thread though:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1075754

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis