S

spenny

Audioholic Intern
Is it worth me spending time and money on building a decent Naim system?
Ultimately I'm looking at a 7-piece system (but only a 3-piece to start with!)
powering a set of Kef Reference 201 speakers.

ALSO: What's the difference between Intergrated, Pre and Power-Amps?
what exactly does an active crossover actually do? and what would i need to Tri-Amp those Kef speakers? (i'm thinking it's a pre-amp with three Power Amps)

TIA

U

Unregistered

Pre-Amp: switches input sources to output sources and includes volume control. A true pre-amp rarely includes a radio tuner.
SSP (Surround Sound Processor): Includes circuitry for processing signals; eg decoding Dolby Digital or DTS signals or applying 'matrix' processing like DPLII/IIx to analog signals or 2 channel digital signals.
Pre/Pro: The combination of a pre-amp and processor. The most common form found today. Also includes a radio tuner.
Integrated amp: pre-amp + power amp (no radio tuner)
Receiver: Combination of pre-amp, processor, and radio tuner. The all in one box that so many of use instead of separate pre/pro and amp.
Amp: Amplifies the signal sent it from a pre-amp, or pre/pro or a receiver when connected using the pre-outs of the receiver.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
what exactly does an active crossover actually do?

Separates the line level signal into two or more ranges. The .1 output on receivers is a subwoofer output.

and what would i need to Tri-Amp those Kef speakers? (i'm thinking it's a pre-amp with three Power Amps)

Yes, however you would need a three way active/electronic xover. The xover being fed from the pre-amp and the xover feeding three stereo power amps :cool:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
spenny said:
Is it worth me spending time and money on building a decent Naim system?
Ultimately I'm looking at a 7-piece system (but only a 3-piece to start with!)
powering a set of Kef Reference 201 speakers.

ALSO: What's the difference between Intergrated, Pre and Power-Amps?
what exactly does an active crossover actually do? and what would i need to Tri-Amp those Kef speakers? (i'm thinking it's a pre-amp with three Power Amps)

TIA

I would be cautious with the Naim. Their amps tend to be very sensitive to cable capacitance, a design shortcoming, hence you may be forced to use their cables.

Last edited:
S

spenny

Audioholic Intern
after looking at their prices i might have to take a step down and go for Rega equipment instead.

my ideal system would cost £40k+ otherwise.
:(

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis