Programmable Universal Remote Control Comparison

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
There are many programmable universal remote controls available at a wide range of prices and capabilities. This short list of products sheds some light on the various products available your local electronics store or through an authorized vendor. We briefly look into a few of these jacks-of-all-trades and give them a rundown for your convenience.

Some are a little more expensive than others, but these are all still considered “budget” items. Read on for more information.

Read: Programmable Universal Remote Control Comparison

Tell us what your favorite Universal Remote Control is and why in the comments below.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Few comments:
1)From personal experience - URC Remotes build quality is well above the rest!
2)I do an issue with this statement :
This remote is also programmable through a download via the Internet
Complete Control Program or CCP is available only to licensed URC dealers. Others may find not so quite legit version on the internet as mentioned, but it's not always easy. it's not exactly as popular as Photoshop :)

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I'm surprised Android / iOS apps aren't mentioned.

It should be noted that mobile device apps, as well as the Ray Super Remote mentioned in the article, suffer from a lack of tactile navigation. Operating them requires taking your eyes off the movie; whereas a remote with physical buttons will quickly become familiar enough under the operator's thumb that it can be used without a glance.

Mark Quinteros

Mark Quinteros

Audiophyte
I pre-ordered a NEEO remote and I'm helping it solves my needs as an all-in-wonderful solution. They are working on an open API so hopefully its future-proofed.

https://neeo.com/pre-order/

W

wiyosaya

Audioholic
I'm surprised Android / iOS apps aren't mentioned.

It should be noted that mobile device apps, as well as the Ray Super Remote mentioned in the article, suffer from a lack of tactile navigation. Operating them requires taking your eyes off the movie; whereas a remote with physical buttons will quickly become familiar enough under the operator's thumb that it can be used without a glance.
I am using Command Fusion myself. While it has a dedicated program to develop user interfaces and as such, it might not be friendly to the non-technical user, it is far more capable than any of the remotes mentioned.

S

Soldierblue211

Audiophyte
The new Logitech remotes are garbage compared to the previous generation. The harmony one and the harmony 900! Yes I have them all. ..no I'm not a Logitech fanboy. The new remotes have their advantage but the new button layout sucks and makes everything else not matter. I gave away the new remote and scoured the earth for a 900. Luckily I found one brand new.

Last edited:
Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
The URC MX-450 is very similar to the 780 mentioned with one key distinction: it does not require "special software" to program (as mentioned in an earlier post). It has a built-in database or can "learn" from other IR remotes. Even better, there is a small utility that allows back-up/restore via USB. It also has a cannon for an IR blaster.

DrGerm

Audiophyte
I also pre-ordered a NEEO. I simply CAN'T wait to get it...

I've used 6 or 7 Logitech remotes. The 880, 900, and One. I highly recommend that if you get a Logitech Harmony, just get their cheap $35 or less remotes. Their high priced ones just aren't worth the money. I haven't used the newest generations, but definitely don't spend much on the older versions that require their crappy, outdated, cloud based software. I'm waiting for the day they close that down and then my remotes will be totally worthless.

J

Jottle

Audioholic Intern
This is a helpful and important comparison. Even though I own the black sheep of the URC family (MX-810 Wizard Remote), it still does everything I need it to do without fail. My universal remote is easily my favorite piece of HT gear because it's the only one that actually makes using my components easier and more efficient. A good universal remote, which can be had for so little, can change the whole experience of getting to the media you want to hear/see.

bombadil

bombadil

Junior Audioholic
I like this web site, lots of good information, but frankly this "comparison" was nothing more than a commercial for all the various universal remotes. Was there one single bit of information that shed any light on how they performed? Were they tested at all, or was this just as it appears, a cut and paste list of what's out there? It takes a lot of time and effort to do a true objective and informative comparison test, you didn't come close.

U

user38

Audiophyte
Well, I am a Logitech fanboy and the Harmony Elite is, hands down, the best universal remote I have ever owned. Having said that, it appears the Harmony Companion shares most of my favourite features of the Elite at less than half the price. Regardless, I am happy I spent the extra cash because the Elite has a nice hand feel. If your role in the household is to be captain of the television, you need a remote that feels nice to hold: for me that is the Harmony Elite.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm on my third Logitech harmony remote,, the first one bit it during a flood, and the 2nd one had the "ok" button wear out after 5 years of heavy use. I now have two Harmony 650 (one per HT system) which can control 8 devices but also has the ability for creating over 10 separate macro activities. I found this model to be highly reliable, well balanced in the hand with a good button layout. There programming interface is very fast and intuitive. I swear by this model.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis