Problems with new reciever

D

Darius427

Audiophyte
Hi all, I am new to this forum, but it seems very informative. I recently upgraded from a old Phillips MX3660D HTIB. The reciever was continuously shutting off after just a few minutes of play. Anyway I purchased a Samsung HW-C700B at best buy because it had everything I needed and I got it for a good price. However I have not upgraded any of my speakers yet. They are still the Phillips speakers that came with my old setup. 4 sattilites a center and a sub. I hooked everything up to the new Samsung and I am not getting very much sound out of the system. Turned all the way up, it is maybe half of what the old Phillips receiver would sound like. The speakers are 8Ohm and the reciever says it is 6Ohm so I think it should have plenty of power to push these speakers. I cant believe that the old Phillips was even close to as powerfull as this Samsung should be. I have not tweaked any settings yet, as I am no pro, but I still think that right out of the box it should have decent volume, even if it doesnt sound its best. Also, I can barely tell there is a sub hooked to the system. Hardly any vibration at peak volume. I double checked all of my wires and everything seems to be correct. I know I should upgrade my speakers, but this is for my garage and I hate to spend to much money on it all at once. The wife would not be happy. So, I guess I am wondering why a cheap HTIB makes these speakers much lounder than this much more expensive receiver. Any help would be much apprecieated. Thanks

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
When one changes anything in the HTIB set, all bets are off. That said, and looking at the Philips HTIB's manual for speaker specs and Samsung receiver's specs, there is nothing wrong with using those speakers on that receiver.

Did you already run the auto setup?The sub seems to have a phase setting, start with keeping it at 0.
Is the volume low on for all sources?

D

Darius427

Audiophyte
No, I have not run the auto setup. I will try that and see what happens. I did check the volume with multiple inputs (TV, AUX, FM) and they all seem to be very low. I am also going to try hooking up a set of outdoor speakers I have to the reciever and see if they are any louder than the HTIB speakers. Hopefully the auto setup helps. I will try that and let you know what I find. Thanks for the input.

D

Darius427

Audiophyte
Alright, I went through all the menus and I turned up the db levels for all the speakers from 0 to +10. I now am getting quite a bit of sound from the speakers. I am happy with it, but still wondering if this should need to be done or not?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I am happy with it, but still wondering if this should need to be done or not?
Cool! Glad it worked out. Definitely run auto setup. It will adjust those trim levels to get all speakers equally loud, do some room corrections and in general improve the sound.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Check and double check the speaker wiring.

If you wired one speaker backwards, it can cancel out a lot of the sound coming from the others.

D

Darius427

Audiophyte
I have another question about this reciever. I would like to use 5.1 surround, but also hook up a set of outdoor speakers to it. Can I hook these to the 7th channel? And would there be anyway of having the outdoor speakers playing without the rest of the speakers? I read through the manual and I dont see anything about duel zones. I am starting to think about taking this reciever back and getting something a little better reputation. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis