Problem with Oppo and SACD's

J

jb5200

Audioholic
Hey Everybody,

I borrowed a couple of SACD's from my buddy to check out the buzz with Multi-Channel Hi-Res. I have an Oppo 983 connected to a Yamaha Rx-v3800 via HDMI for DVD and Analog 2 ch. for CD.

I played the Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms 20th Ann. SACD in Multi-Channel and it was super fuzzy, especially the vocals. I switched to CD for 2 Ch. and it was fine - clear. Switched back to DVD for the Multi and it was really fuzzy, vol. at about -60 b/c it was so bad I didn't want to damage my tweeter.

Here's where it gets interesting. I played The Police - Every Breath You Take SACD, first in DVD for the Multi and it was clear as a bell. In fact, I could turn the volume up to about -38 on the Yammy. I also tried it in CD for the 2 Ch. and it was the same.

What is the deal???? My buddy has the oppo 83 and it plays fine on his. This also happens when I play a Linkin Park DVD-A I have - super fuzzy but not on a Bon Jovi DVD-A - clear as a bell.

I am so confused!!!!

Thanks,

Jeff

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
A couple ideas

Hey Everybody,

I borrowed a couple of SACD's from my buddy to check out the buzz with Multi-Channel Hi-Res. I have an Oppo 983 connected to a Yamaha Rx-v3800 via HDMI for DVD and Analog 2 ch. for CD.

I played the Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms 20th Ann. SACD in Multi-Channel and it was super fuzzy, especially the vocals. I switched to CD for 2 Ch. and it was fine - clear. Switched back to DVD for the Multi and it was really fuzzy, vol. at about -60 b/c it was so bad I didn't want to damage my tweeter.

Here's where it gets interesting. I played The Police - Every Breath You Take SACD, first in DVD for the Multi and it was clear as a bell. In fact, I could turn the volume up to about -38 on the Yammy. I also tried it in CD for the 2 Ch. and it was the same.

What is the deal???? My buddy has the oppo 83 and it plays fine on his. This also happens when I play a Linkin Park DVD-A I have - super fuzzy but not on a Bon Jovi DVD-A - clear as a bell.

I am so confused!!!!

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

A couple ideas to consider:

1) Given your description, it sounds like it maybe a 983 firmware issue, check your version and update if required. Also, the 983 forums may have info on others with similar problems for those disks.

2) Check/verify the 983's various audio output settings to ensure it is sending the signal you want (Digital output, SACD output, HDMI Audio, PCM vs bitstream, down-mix, etc.).

3) Use the 3800's front panel display lights to verify what the 3800 is "seeing" when the Oppo is providing audio via the HDMI. If not correct, this may help reveal the problem area.

Good luck,
XEagleDriver

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis