Problem with Classé 5300 amp

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I should elaborate a little more. I actually have my 803D3's bi-amped with the Classé 2300 and 2 of the channels from the 5300. The other 3 channels are used for my center and rears. Perhaps I should not be using the other 2 channels for bi-amping?
To use the available power effectively, you should have used the 2300 to power the bass driver and the 5300 to take care of the mid range driver and the tweeter assuming the 803D have them group this way.

Based on specs, I would use the CT-2300 for the 803D3s and forget about bi-amping, it seems like a waste not to use that fine amp to drive those beautiful diamond tweeters. I think the CT-5300 is an overkill, maybe even a waste of money.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I really like my Monolith 7 (as you know, made by ATI). It's rated at 4 ohms and shouldn't have a problem driving those speakers. Gobs of clean power.
Both Irv and I have used the ATI 60WPC amp to power our Revel Salon2 in the past. So ATI is legendary. ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
To use the available power effectively, you should have used the 2300 to power the bass driver and the 5300 to take care of the mid range driver and the tweeter assuming the 803D have them group this way.

Based on specs, I would use the CT-2300 for the 803D3s and forget about bi-amping, it seems like a waste not to use that fine amp to drive those beautiful diamond tweeters. I think the CT-5300 is an overkill, maybe even a waste of money.
PENG is absolutely correct. Your 803 D3s should be driven by the CT 2300 which can deliver 600 watts into four ohms both channels driven. If you had done that I doubt you would be in this pickle.

Often simple is better and certainly your case really drives the point home.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, and I assume B&W dealers (those who sell the 800 series) would love to recommend boutique brand amps as they understand the power of Placebo effect.
Especially Classe since B&W owns them, yes?

B

BWguy

Junior Audioholic
Ok, an update. It was surprising to me that the amp would continue to reset and be fine after shutting down so I decided to see if it was the speakers. I disconnected each speaker separately and waited to see if it would shut down. First did away with the bi-amp configuration, but again it shut down. Then disconnected one of the surround speakers. Bingo. Amp has been working all weekend.
Now to figure what's wrong with the surround speaker.
BTW, I know not everyone agrees with bi-amping, but I originally got the 5300 for my center and surrounds. Since I had 2 extra unused channels, I just thought why not try it.
Thanks for everyone's help.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok, an update. It was surprising to me that the amp would continue to reset and be fine after shutting down so I decided to see if it was the speakers. I disconnected each speaker separately and waited to see if it would shut down. First did away with the bi-amp configuration, but again it shut down. Then disconnected one of the surround speakers. Bingo. Amp has been working all weekend.
Now to figure what's wrong with the surround speaker.
BTW, I know not everyone agrees with bi-amping, but I originally got the 5300 for my center and surrounds. Since I had 2 extra unused channels, I just thought why not try it.
Thanks for everyone's help.
I understood why you wanted to biamp. If you can hear a difference/better in a blind comparison test, then great, otherwise you will be better off using the 2300 only for the front L/R because it is more powerful.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis