Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm using Fire Fox with ABP on an XP OS. It worked fine when I went away a couple of months ago and now that I'm back, I can't get it to print the written directions from Map Quest.

Any ideas? :eek:

Edit: It wants to let me print the map but not the text with the fancy arrows and what not.

Edit: I copied the text onto wordpad and tried to copy from there ... no go.

Edit: Oh ... and I have NoScript.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Press Ctrl-Shift-V to Get ABP Blockable Items and Whitelist only this item:
http://o.aolcdn.com/ads/adsWrapper.js
I think you meant 'E' instead of 'V' but I got there from the 'Tools' menu as well. That's what tipped me off. Under 'My Ad Blocking Rules' I added that 'thing' :)rolleyes:) and made sure it was unchecked. The 'V' thing lets me do a search of 'Blockable Items'. :confused:

It appears to have worked as the fancy arrows are printing now along with space for the text but I am out of black ink. I did a nozzle check and the black grid isn't there at all but the colors are fine. I recently had to do a 'Deep Clean' thing on it and I guess that did in the ink supply.

So ... it worked. How you knew to do that is a wonder. Thank you. I just noticed a whole mess of new ads but that was easily taken care of by making sure that 'Filter Subscriptions' was checked. I think I unchecked it by accident ... actually that may have been what allowed all that stuff to be printed. :confused:

Don't get me wrong, just because I'm stupid and confused doesn't mean I don't appreciate the help. ;) :)

BTW, I use Canon BCI-24 ink. Are the compatible cartridges of a lower quality? What's the best way to go with this?
Amazon has a variety of options ... all confusing. :D

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-BCI-24-Color-Ink-Tank/dp/B00005OSTP

Actually I gotta get ready to go off for a weekend get away down around Newport way so I'll be back tomorrow evening.
Thanks again.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
In my world, INK is somewhat a rough equivalent of Monster cables, especially big brand made ink.
My ideology about printers is simple: I keep cheap laser b/w at home and print my photos at the least expensive online print store.

You'll never be able to achieve same level of PQ at home anyway, so why waste so much money on overpriced glossy photo paper and even more expensive ink.

I mean C'mon - Ink is at up to $8000 per gallon! and you thought car gas is expensive.

Then I bought my $120 Samsung ML-2250 Printer about 5 years ago, I bought as a combo deal additional toner for about $30. Well, my original toner is still in the printer and works fine. My wife went through her last year in school and she printer - A LOT, yet original toner still survives fine.
It prints more then decent pq and pretty fast too.
On cons side - it takes minute or two warming up before first print and it's pretty loud while printing - but I don't print that often and considering it's price/durability I don't give cons above much credit.

Alex, Sorry can't help you much with your specific problem - the above is just my rant :rolleyes:
I do know unlike toners, INK if unused for extended periods of time gets dry and then you need to replace ALL ink cartridges and really clean the printing heads

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Ink costs are outrageous, especially for HP printers. I've had enough of HP printers and just yesterday bought a Lexmark S305 for $99. The ink is slightly cheaper, it works just fine, and the print quality is good enough for me.

I've tried generic OfficeMax replacement cartridges for the HP, which are about $5 cheaper, and they work but the printer can't determine the ink level remaining. However, the HP drained that cartridge after only a few prints just as it did with the original HP inks, the printer gets out of alignment and has to use even more ink to try to re-align itself, and also seems to drain the color cartridges way too fast (I don't exactly print large volumes of pages).

Here's hoping the Lex will be better. The price was certainly right.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Press Ctrl-Shift-V to Get ABP Blockable Items and Whitelist only this item:
http://o.aolcdn.com/ads/adsWrapper.js
Today I got on the computer and there were ads all over the place. Ctrl-Shift-V (or E) does nothing anymore.
Seems like I now have to enable ABP. It's all screwy. I can't get preferences or blockable items to pop up at all.

I removed that o.aolcdn thing from the NoScript Options Whitelist and I also removed the Audioholics thing from there. The ads are gone and when I click on Quick Links in the bar just above it acts normal enough (which I've had trouble with before).

WTF is going on? :mad: I'm not even sure what's wrong anymore. I just know that things are different and I don't know why. I even went to a restore point created on Friday before I started this thread.

More than likely the real problem is that I don't know what I'm doing and I'm not sure what I've done. Is ABP down? :confused:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Ink costs are outrageous, especially for HP printers. I've had enough of HP printers and just yesterday bought a Lexmark S305 for $99. The ink is slightly cheaper, it works just fine, and the print quality is good enough for me.

I've tried generic OfficeMax replacement cartridges for the HP, which are about $5 cheaper, and they work but the printer can't determine the ink level remaining. However, the HP drained that cartridge after only a few prints just as it did with the original HP inks, the printer gets out of alignment and has to use even more ink to try to re-align itself, and also seems to drain the color cartridges way too fast (I don't exactly print large volumes of pages).

Here's hoping the Lex will be better. The price was certainly right.
Good luck to you, but in my book neither home or office Lexmark models score high....
If you really insist of printing in color and can't afford color laser - $300-500, can it under $100 and then original ink is fully used - just buy new printer :)

I used several Canon Pixma printer MFC before and had mixed results...
My office have all workgroup HP laser models and they are really pulling their weight under very heavy loads... They expensive but for any hi-volume work - they are must

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I have a b/w HP laser, and it holds up very well.

What I will say is that I will now always purchase OEM cartridges. Ugh, it's such a pain when it's not printing properly, and diagnosing is not so easy for this computer retard. How do I know if it's the drum, and how do I fix it, etc. See, I saved money by buying a generic replacement, with high capacity, but it didn't last. It wasn't worth diddly squat to me.

After I found the OEM replacement at HPs site, and ordered, just the next day I found that it sells for cheaper thru Amazon. :rolleyes:

I had used a Samsung b/w laser for a long time, and while it was even more entry level, and cheaper, it was rather painfully slow, and louder too. During the last couple of years of its life, I had to stick a ruler on the side of the paper feeder, so that it would print straight, so to speak.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
For about a year our company have switched from buying original HP toners to 3rd party HP re-manufactured from brands like Xerox, Imation etc...
Out of about 25 printers in a year only one issue so far - C4670 had one bad magenta toner...

Cost cutting - almost half on each toner.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
For about a year our company have switched from buying original HP toners to 3rd party HP re-manufactured from brands like Xerox, Imation etc...
Out of about 25 printers in a year only one issue so far - C4670 had one bad magenta toner...

Cost cutting - almost half on each toner.
I wish I was as lucky. I tried.

I prefer reliability. Not that you don't. But I have a new attitude about sticking with OEM. And with what I have learned with AV stuff, my attitude has only strengthened. That includes TV/PJ bulb replacements too, anything really. Sure, maybe I could buy two generic bulbs at half the cost of one new one, but I want reliable use, and not a bulb exploding in my projector.

When I'm using the laser printer, I really need it to work, and have it be extremely legible. I don't have very high output, but what I do output is extremely important.

Sometimes, there is a reason why the generic stuff only costs half as much.

So, for me, it's worth paying that extra $20-40, or whatever it is, every year, or whatever the time period is.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So, for me, it's worth paying that extra $20-40, or whatever it is, every year, or whatever the time period is.
Hehe, I wish were talking about $20-40 difference here, but hey if I can get it for a minor difference I'd gladly buy OEM myself..

Check it out yourself:
Original:
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=705882
Refub:
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1823769

You tell me which one you'd buy if these typically consumed 10 times a year :rolleyes:

p.s: CDW is only vendor we buy our IT stuff from, since they offer corporate purchase orders and we already got established fat line of credit, which i a ***** to get first place:D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Lexmark S305 for $99.
I have an 'N' router. That printer says that it works with 'b/g' routers. I think I need a recommendation for an 'N' router compatible printer. Right? :confused:

I just noticed that there was an adapter for the different n/g/b stuff.

I think the little pump for black ink in my printer is kaput. I sure liked the price of MDS' Lexmark. On a related note my monitor seems to have sh!t the bed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis