Prince passed away at 57

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Fentanyl has been around for some time, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fentanyl.

It was first used clinically in the 1960s, and later in the mid 1990s it got greater exposure in the form of a dermal patch, among other formulations.

Only more recently did it become the drug of choice for opiate abusers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I didn't mention any specific context since I was interested in the 10,000 foot view of this class of drug.

I'm hoping for a bit of an education from TLS Guy since he's a reasonable authority on this.
I have just got back from Grand Forks. This was a very sad day.

Fentanyl was introduced back in the late 60 as an anaesthetic agent. It is a highly potent synthetic narcotic agent. It has a very short half life and produces intense euphoria. It is a potent respiratory depressant. It is not absorbed via the gut, but by mucous membranes and the skin. During surgical procedures and in the ICU to patients on life support it is administered IV.

The drug has fewer vascular side effects than other narcotics. It short half life makes it very useful in procedural settings and in the ICU.

However these effects make it a very dangerous drug on the hands of non medical personnel. The shorter the half life of a drug inducing euphoria the stronger the addictive potential.

This drug has a very narrow window of safety. The margin between a high and total shut down of the respiratory center and death is razor thin.

Patches impregnated with the drug that is adsorbed though the skin became available in the eighties. There use is confined to the relief of pain in terminal cancer patients especially those who can not take drugs by mouth.

The lay press continue to refer to this drug as a pain killer. This is true to a limited extent. The main use of the drug in in surgical and procedural areas under skilled supervision. Its application for pain relief is pretty much confined to terminal conditions. It is not used by responsible practitioners to treat pain outside of end of life care.

I understand the Chinese in particular are making large quantities of Fentanyl powder and there is a rapidly escalating illegal distribution system.

This is an unfolding disaster. The potential for lethal overdose is enormous. In addition significant amounts are adsorbed though the skin in handling in addition to the amount intended for injection. In addition variable purity and potency in a drug with a very narrow window of safety in unskilled hands is obviously an urgent public health concern.

Fentanyl and very cheap street heroin are now causing an escalating death rate form narcotic overdose. Celebrity use of these compounds is very unhelpful in the overall scheme of things concerning this issue.

Narcotic deaths are now exceeding road deaths.

I leaned today that the nephew of my long term office nurse, died of a heroin overdose two months ago. His mother is a long term nurse in out OB Gyn area.

One of our ICU nurses who became a nurse practitioner and worked with my wife, has a son who became mixed up in the drug scene. He supplied Fentanyl to two individuals that died of Fentanyl over doses in Grand Forks. He was recently convicted in Federal Court in Fargo ND, and sentenced to 12 years in Federal prison. Their has been some degree of outcry on Facebook, that his sentence was too harsh. People just do not get it.

Anyone who thinks what is happening in this area is different from anywhere else is deluded.

This article of June 2 in the Grand Forks Herald, could be anywhere USA.

Note that there were 51 narcotic overdose deaths in Grand Forks County in 2014. Note that the Altru Health systems is admitting almost one serious narcotic overdose per day now and rising.
Please note that the population of Grand Forks County is just under 70,000!

A documentary has just been produced by UND on this issue. It is called "Faded Fentanyl's impact." It was shown at the Empire theater Grand Forks and is available in YouTube.

This is an appalling and rapidly evolving situation.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Isn't the rule of thumb no more than two weeks of usage with a lot of this class due to possible addiction?
They gave me a script for 40 Percocet after knee surgery. The pills are 5mg and they said I could take 8 per day so that's enough for 5 days. The doc said that 40 pills was not enough to addict. I don't think he is right.

First of all all, to get past the pain of post surgical swelling and what not I needed maybe a couple of pills a day for 2 or three days. That leaves me with 36 pills. If I took one a day for a month I believe there would be a problem when the supply ran out.

Tramadol is viewed as being less addictive but the anti depressant aspect of that drug leaves people super depressed upon running out. The AMA is wrong about the addictive nature of Tramadol.

My rule of thumb with any of this stuff is not to dose twice in one day and not to dose two days in a row. I've broken those rules in the past for whatever reason and seriously regretted it. The combination of AMA guidelines and the addictive nature of seemingly many people have resulted in the current state of affairs.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I've had prescriptions for Percocet and oxy. Both upset my stomach tremendously so I never used them past the first couple of pills. Tylenol with codeine was much better but even that I used infrequently. I did once have a shot of whatever that is into my knee. Now THAT was remarkable!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
That video was a good watch. The first thing I saw was them vilifying weed but past that I was glad to watch it. That one kid talked about AA/NA being an indication of failing at life and that's so true if you're a using addict. The funny thing is that sobriety, however it is attained, is addiction being successfully dealt with ... but you still suck at life. You're just sober. I need a beer.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
This morning I saw a commercial for Opioid PRESCRIPTION. Man was that a shocker to see in light of whats been happening lately.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis