Pressure Musicians to Record in SACD/DVD A

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I would like to brainstorm and implement a way to encourage more musicians to record their new works in the SACD and DVD A format. They will support the masses (money). These formats are better than anything I've
seen in my fifty years on the planet. Lets not let these fade away.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Uhm, it is now standard to record at 96/24 or 192/24. I personally hope that SACD is simply abandoned(it's flawed from the concept). I don't really care if CD or DVD-A is the future if we are talking about stereo. However, DVD-A has the multichannel advantage... Perhaps you meant 'release' in place of 'record'? :D

-Chris

surveyor said:
I would like to brainstorm and implement a way to encourage more musicians to record their new works in the SACD and DVD A format. They will support the masses (money). These formats are better than anything I've

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I must have been lost!
SACD and DVD A sound superior to me versus CD.
CD is very good, but not the best to my ears.
I'm laymen, but more recordings in either SACD or DVD A would be most encouraging from my humble perspective.
:eek:

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

It's not enough to merely record at 24 bit, as is currently done. To take full advantage of DVD-A, the recording has to be envisioned for MC, which to me means the band has to actively participate in the mixing. For example, you'd record very differently if you knew the final version had to "fit" into two channels, where you may add more tracks if you had enough channels to avoid "crowding."

I really like the SACD MC version of DSotM, for example, but is that what Floyd would have wanted? A good example of a well done disc (compared to the artists intentions) is the Neil Young DVD-A, Harvest. It was originally intended by Young to be a 4 ch quad release, and the DVD-A uses the original 4 ch mix.

Damn, Chris, you're starting to worry me...we agree on the DSD/SACD thing, too! :eek: :D I lack your engineering background, but it's obvious even to me that on paper, DSD has some problems. IMOHO, it does nothing better than PCM, and most things not as well. Plus it costs over 10X as much, and there still aren't all that many DSD mixers in existance. And while it may not be a scientific apples to apples comparison, the DVD-A discs I've heard generally sound better than the SACDs. I think DSD was created more to serve as a revenue stream than to address any real problems with linear PCM. It deserves to die, IMO.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
surveyor said:
I must have been lost!
SACD and DVD A sound superior to me versus CD.
CD is very good, but not the best to my ears.
I'm laymen, but more recordings in either SACD or DVD A would be most encouraging from my humble perspective.
:eek:
Assume you are comparing the stereo versions of the CD vs SACD or DVD-A: it is virtually impossible to perform a comparision that only compares the actual 'formats' at home(even most recording studios appear to be inadequately equipped on the knowledgefront to do this correctly) -- many more variables are at issue: version of mix, master for each release, level matching, type of downsampling used to create the Cd version, analysis/measurement of the playback equipment to ensure linear operation between equipment, etc..

At best, a comparision at home using the CD layer vs. SACD or DVD-A versions is only anecdotal.

-Chris

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
WmAx said:
Assume you are comparing the stereo versions of the CD vs SACD or DVD-A: it is virtually impossible to perform a comparision that only compares the actual 'formats' at home(even most recording studios appear to be inadequately equipped on the knowledgefront to do this correctly) -- many more variables are at issue: version of mix, master for each release, level matching, type of downsampling used to create the Cd version, analysis/measurement of the playback equipment to ensure linear operation between equipment, etc..

At best, a comparision at home using the CD layer vs. SACD or DVD-A versions is only anecdotal.

-Chris
Chris, I am most probably hearing the bennefit of the 192 kHz 24bit DAC used in my new Suedo HI Fi Pioneer DV-578A DVD player. To support yours and Rob's analysis, I listened to Dire Straits (Brother In Arms) CD on the Pioneer DV-578A and it sounded much better than on my Pioneer PD-F908 CD Player.
Kelly

Last edited:
R

RandyStacyE

Audiophyte
I think that besides which format a record is recorded, musicians are more concerned with their loss of record sales due to music downloading/file sharing. Me I believe that file sharing is putting musicians in a position to begin performing more often and creating better music that people really want to hear and see performed. Like the saying says “video killed the radio star”.

If you think about it (and sure more is involved than I’m stating) most music now is created, put to disk, distributed/aired, a quick tour, and millions of records sold. Their rich – filthy stinking rich. Now they complain about loss of sales due to so called “illegal downloading” - more money that should be in their pockets. Well it looks like you’re going to have to get off of your artistic A_ _ and get out there and shake it for their fans. If the fans don’t like the show/music … no records sold, what’s the point of downloading it, and they still made a fortune.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
RandyStacyE said:
I think that besides which format a record is recorded, musicians are more concerned with their loss of record sales due to music downloading/file sharing.
And so they should be.

RandyStacyE said:
If you think about it (and sure more is involved than I’m stating) most music now is created, put to disk, distributed/aired, a quick tour, and millions of records sold. Their rich – filthy stinking rich.
And they deserve it all. After all, it's their creative talent that's being sold here.

RandyStacyE said:
Now they complain about loss of sales due to so called “illegal downloading” - more money that should be in their pockets.
I simply cannot understand this line of thought. Consider:

Say you were an artist. You use your unique talents to compose execute and record a song. Others get hold of the song and spread it around the world. Now millions of people have the song. Meanwhile, you have received absolutely nothing in recompence. Are you happy? Theoretically, not a single record might sell, yet millions of people will own your song. Are you still happy?

How file sharing can be regarded as anything other than stealing is beyond me.

Regards

E

eirepaul

Audioholic
surveyor said:

Back to the original thread (quite simple really)! I agree "surveyor". I have derived so much enjoyment from new multi-channel mixes of music recorded over 30 years ago. I read that Elton John was blown away by the SACD versions of his albums when he first heard them. If I had my way, all new releases by my favorite artists would be in CD (for the masses) and DVD-A for those who enjoy the pristine sound and additional detail of multi-channel (not to mention the extra video features which further enhance the enjoyment of the total package). I agree that SACD could die in favor of DVD-A (one M/C format is enough), but I don't think SACD is that bad.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
sacd/dvd a

i too agree that sacd is a great option but unfortunately musician's have very little to do with what format is used,unless they are a huge band like the rolling stone's or something i cant see any recording big wig's bowing to such a request.

the problem with getting more material recorded on any of these format's lie's with the consumer's not caring,after the ipod i think we will be seeing more & more form's of compressed music rather that better quality recording's,if john q public isnt buying it what ever it is it's surely doomed to fail,just ask any of your non audio friends what a sacd is & you'll get the 1000 yard stare,HUH!

hifiman

hifiman

Audioholic
surveyor said:
Lets not let these fade away.
Not let them fade away? They've been all but dead for quite some time now. It's a shame that it happened, but it's time to move on. How 'bout HD-DVD? I predict this shares hi-res music's fate and will go down the crapper as well, but possibly sooner. Studio's never seem to learn that format wars do no one any good and usually only serve to increase ill-will towards an industry that's already struggling quite a bit these days.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis