Preliminary Dolby Atmos Results in Audioholics Showcase Theater Room

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]-->
Just set up Atmos in 5.1.4 in my theater room.

Listening to Atmos A60 modules the sound was greatly improved with Audyssey. Without Audyssey they sounded more congested and boxy with more sound radiating directly from the speaker instead of projecting an elevated soundfield. The A60s didn’t remotely timber match ANYTHING in my system. This was obvious with pink noise and program material.

The rain demo was nice but with the A60 modules just didn’t have the definition and transient detail you could get from a discrete speaker IMO.

Enrique Iglesias Music Video: Bailando

The transient sounds like the snare drum hit or claps did project an elevated sound but the vocals sounded like they were coming from the companion speakers. If you sat too far away from the Atmos modules, the elevation effect evaporated completely. If you sat too close to an Atmos module, the speaker was easily localized. In my two rows of seats, only the primary row pulled off an acceptable elevation effect. If I turned off all the speakers but the Atmos modules you could clearly identify steady state sound from any seat. I believe once you have all the speakers engaged, your brain gets overloaded with so many sound sources that its harder to localize the Atmos modules as a result. The Atmos modules should be crossed over above 100Hz, recommend 250Hz to help mitigate this a bit.

Dolby Surround Upmixer produced a nice enveloping effect but purists may still prefer to listen to regular 2CH. I felt it bested DTS Neo by a good margin. PLIIx Music Mode was always my favorite upmixer and I’d say the DSU has at least equaled if not rivaled it.

I plan on testing in my untreated family room and comparing to in-ceiling speakers next.

I’m wondering if there is a 2nd Dolby HRTF implemented in the AV receiver and only engaged with Audyssey. I wish I could measure this but unfortunately my AP won’t support Atmos test signals. AP claims they won’t be upgrading their test gear either b/c Atmos is too niche. I will try to put 2CH analog signal in and engage the DSU to see if I get outputs from the Atmos channels to measure but not sure it will work yet.

I attached some pics and also a nearfield frequency response measurement of the A60 module.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <![endif]-->

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks.
Are the software you demoed Atmos encoded? Atmos processor?

Not sure how and why Atmos would do justice to music. Instruments usually are in front of a listener at live performances and no real overhead sound short of room reflections at the presentation. I also use the DPL type modes and not sure how you can improve on it at a home presentation.

Are you planning on doing a ceiling positioned speaker and see how that works?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Those look like the SVS Ultra bookshelves and the RBH E-41B's. SO you're saying that if I were to get the Atmos modules I could have the same setup as the AH reference room?!?!?

Minus all the cool electronics and the massive Status speakers though.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The speaker on top is the Definitive Technology Atmos speakers

And, is that the RBH SX-61 bookshelf speakers being used for the demo?

Last edited by a moderator:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thanks.
Are the software you demoed Atmos encoded? Atmos processor?

Not sure how and why Atmos would do justice to music. Instruments usually are in front of a listener at live performances and no real overhead sound short of room reflections at the presentation. I also use the DPL type modes and not sure how you can improve on it at a home presentation.

Are you planning on doing a ceiling positioned speaker and see how that works?
Yes I have the new Denon AVR-X5200W Dolby Atmos AV receiver and the Dolby Atmos Demo disc for August 2014.

Enrique Iglesias music video is pretty awesome and has lots of extra effects that make the surround sound very engaging.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Those look like the SVS Ultra bookshelves and the RBH E-41B's. SO you're saying that if I were to get the Atmos modules I could have the same setup as the AH reference room?!?!?

Minus all the cool electronics and the massive Status speakers though.
I tried to use the most affordable speakers I have on hand to do this demo to represent what the average person buying a $2k receiver would use. The problem I am finding is that the sonic characteristics of the RBH and SVS speakers are so superior to the Def Tech A60 Atmos modules that they become a big limitation when turned on.

When I was switching between regular mode and direct mode on the Denon receiver, I was stunned at how much better direct mode sounded, especially for music. I first thought this had to do with the downsampling to 22kHz that's happening in all modes but direct b/c of the massive MIPS consumption of Atmos. But, then I realized direct mode disabled the Atmos speakers and put the receiver in TrueHD mode. Thus TrueHD sounded BETTER mostly b/c the speaker system matched much better and the sound wasn't being blurred by the Atmos modules.

I am just at the beginning of my testing. Much more is coming, including using my own speakers as Atmos modules....

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The speaker on top is the Definitive Technology Atmos speakers

And, is that the RBH SX-61 bookshelf speakers being used for the demo?

OK here is the setup:

• Receiver: Denon AVR-X5200W
  • Blu-ray Player: Oppo BDP-105
  • Front Speakers: SVS Ultra Bookshelf
  • Center: Status Acoustics 8C
  • Rears: RBH 41-SE/B
  • Front/Rear Dolby Speakers: Definitive Technology A60s
  • Sub: Velodyne Minivee

The SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers blend really well with the RBH's. Yes the Status center is overkill, but what an anchor in this little system! The sub is a bit weak but I'm not testing bass b/c Atmos doesn't change that.

I will be hooking this receiver into my family room system that utilizes dual JL Audio E112's and a normal untreated room soon. Also our family room system has all speakers wall mounted a few feet above ear level. When I played the Atmos demo clips on that system, I heard very convincing height effects despite that system only runs TrueHD.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
OK here is the setup:
  • Rears: RBH 41-SE/B
  • Front/Rear Dolby Speakers: Definitive Technology A60s

The SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers blend really well with the RBH's.
Right- the RBH 41-SE/B does have a phase plug on the woofer

Looks like you are having an interesting time

Interesting that Atmos is getting some unique interest or push - The new Amazon Fire HD 8.9
Tablet is suppose to have Dolby Atmos for headphone use! :confused: May be able to save somebody
some extra speakers.:)
Fire HDX 8.9 - Amazon's Official Site - Learn More

Fire HDX 8.9 - Amazon's Official Site - Learn More

New—Fire HDX 8.9 is the first tablet to feature the Dolby Atmos experience, which transforms the headphone listening experience by creating multidimensional sound that flows above and around you. In a movie with Dolby Atmos, sound moves around you to match what you see on the screen—rain on a roof, airplanes taking off—so you'll hear the sounds where they would be in real life. Additional enhancements include 5.1 multi-channel sound field, playback volume consistency, dynamically adjusting audio content, and clear movie dialog for Amazon Instant Video.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Yes I have the new Denon AVR-X5200W Dolby Atmos AV receiver and the Dolby Atmos Demo disc for August 2014.

Enrique Iglesias music video is pretty awesome and has lots of extra effects that make the surround sound very engaging.
I guess that AVR then is ready to play Atmos, not just capable with firmware update.

I wonder if that video has special height info overhead then? Or just engaging surround on the horizontal plane?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I am just at the beginning of my testing. Much more is coming, including using my own speakers as Atmos modules....
Yes, looks like a huge learning curve coming up with this.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I guess that AVR then is ready to play Atmos, not just capable with firmware update.

I wonder if that video has special height info overhead then? Or just engaging surround on the horizontal plane?
I am playing Atmos! The Denon comes shipped with ability to play Atmos. Again I am comparing Atmos to TrueHD without the Dolby speakers and so far preferring the latter.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis