Precise Acoustic Monitor 10 speakers recone question

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I am re-coning my pair of Precise Acoustic Monitor 10 speakers. I errored on the first 6.5 inch mid range. I was unaware that 2 ea. rubber gaskets were still together from shipping. I thought they were in fact one. I then removed the old dry rotted rubber surround from one of the 6.5 inch midrange speakers. I then mistakenly applied glue and put 2 each rubber surrounds on one 6.5 inch surround and installed it. It looked fine. I then ordered another rubber surround from the same vendor. Upon receiving the second pair- I realized my error on the first 6.5 inch midrange. Is this a problem? Do I need to re-cone the first 6.5 inch midrange?:confused:

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
You are not reconing, you are refoaming. Reconing involves replacing the cone. Now to your problem. Yes, you should redo the first midrange. The reason is that having two surrounds on it will cause greater resistance to movement, which means it will likely not be outputting the right level for a proper balance of sound between the midrange and woofer and tweeter, and also not be right between the left and right speaker, since you are (hopefully) doing that one right.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
You are not reconing, you are refoaming. Reconing involves replacing the cone. Now to your problem. Yes, you should redo the first midrange. The reason is that having two surrounds on it will cause greater resistance to movement, which means it will likely not be outputting the right level for a proper balance of sound between the midrange and woofer and tweeter, and also not be right between the left and right speaker, since you are (hopefully) doing that one right.
I was able to remove the second rubber surround. I then used it on the second speaker. The first rubber surround was also fine, once I cleaned off the excess carpenters glue with my finger nail and a dampened paper towel.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I was able to remove the second rubber surround. I then used it on the second speaker. The first rubber surround was also fine, once I cleaned off the excess carpenters glue with my finger nail and a dampened paper towel.
You should not be using carpenter's glue for gluing the surround. It is not compliant and will not like the vibration. You need special speaker glue.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis