Pre-Out jacks question

M

MHK

Audiophyte
Hello,

In my Yamaha receiver's (RX-A1030) it says:

- When using the pre-out jacks, do NOT connect speakers to the corresponding Speaker terminals.

Can anyone tell me why you are not supposed to do this? I want to connect an external amp to the pre-out (main) while using the main and surround speakers.

Thanks for your help

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

It won't hurt anything to connect to both the pre-out jacks and the speaker terminals. They probably emphasize it because it's a redundant connection, and a lot of people may not realize that the same signal is being sent out through both (except one is low power and one is amplified already).

Last edited:
M

MHK

Audiophyte
Cool. I already connected the external amp and used both at the same time and did not notice anything strange. Thanks for your quick reply Adam.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
If you have the speakers all in the same room, you will get an inferior sound that way because the speakers will interfere with each other, such that some of the sounds will be out of phase with each other at the listening point (plus the sound is coming from two places, even if they are side by side). There is supposed to be one and only one speaker for each signal, and if you hook up speakers to the speaker terminals and use the preamp outputs to an amplifier to speakers, then you have at least two speakers playing the same signal.

M

MHK

Audiophyte
Thanks, I use a second set of main speakers for music (stereo). They sound better than my surround speakers. I rarely use them together because I know you're not supposed to. I must say though that when i do use the two sets of mains together it gives a much fuller sound (playing music).

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
I know this thread is a few months old but I think Yamaha said do not do this for a reason. Did you call their customer service to see if it will cause a problem or not?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Dunno, but I think that was merely a notification to clueless users that one must connect the speakers to the external amp rather than the one in the receiver if they want to take advantage of the external amp connected to the preamp outs. You know how people are.

I can think of no logical reason using the internal amp to drive speakers concurrently with an external amp would cause a problem unless somehow using the preamp out jacks disables the internal amps.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Yes but I wonder if connecting both would put a strain on the amps because they are made to run a pair of speakers not 4. I just think calling their CS would be something I would do for some piece of mind. You know what they say, Better safe than sorry.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If there are any problems, then I would expect it to be associated with the Pre-Amp output stage.

If the Pre-amp output isn't robust enough to drive the extra load, then problems could arise.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If there are any problems, then I would expect it to be associated with the Pre-Amp output stage.

If the Pre-amp output isn't robust enough to drive the extra load, then problems could arise.
I hear ya, but preamps are generally low impedance outputs feeding into the high impedance inputs of a power amp. I've never seen it any other way.

R

Rocknroller

Audiophyte
HELP! I just installed 2 Outlaw M2200 amps to the front pre-outs of my Yamaha RX- A2000 receiver. When I ran the Ypao speaker set up, the sound was so LOUD from the left front speaker I immediately shut it down for fear of frying The speaker. Talked to Yamaha and they said amp had to have volume control.Not according to manual. Can anybody help with this problem.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
With the Preamp outs, the Yamaha should be supplying the volume control.
Check your connections, If they are correct call Yamaha again and see if you can get a better tech.

- Rich

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
With the Preamp outs, the Yamaha should be supplying the volume control.
Exactly.

What, exactly, are the jacks you're using labeled? Just because you get a signal from them doesn't mean it's a preamp output in the true sense of the word. Monitor jacks are a good example of that. They pass an unadulterated signal before the volume control.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis