Powerlines and MoCAs

C

ChGr

Audioholic Intern
I don't see a recent thread on powerlines. What's the latest on these and/or successes? Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Pass-through-TL-PA9020P-KIT/dp/B01H74VKZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500241428&sr=8-1&keywords=TL-PA9020P&th=1

I'm comparing these to MoCAs. Has anyone else done so?

And with a MoCA, do you know if it's possible to mix the RF signals on coax cable through the house? My situation - I have a single coax cable in each room. I need wired internet in the office, living and bedroom. I use Company A for internet and Company B for TV signal, both of which deliver via coax. So A's line is connected to the internet router in the office and B's signal is connected to TV receivers in the living and bedrooms. What if I were to go into the attic and plug both company's incoming coax cables into a splitter? Would their respective signals make it to the correct devices (modem and TV receivers), i.e. can multiple signals transmit on a single coax line or will they interfere with one another? If this works, I thought I'd try a MoCA at the internet router and additional MoCAs in the other rooms to deliver internet while those lines are also delivering the TV signal.

Thanks.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I used to have splitted Coax for tv and modem for years, no problems there. Cant say anything about those wireless things however.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
MOCA works much better than powerline. A MOCA splitter comes with the adapter. The MOCA adapter does not need to be at the head-end, but can reside at any coax jack. The house coax distribution panel needs to be MOCA compatible; most newer panels will work. Try it before you purchase a new panel.

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-MoCA-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6000S02/dp/B013J7NUXO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1500467021&sr=8-3&keywords=moca+adapter

You will also need a MOCA filter that installs where the cable line comes into your home.

https://www.amazon.com/Filter-MoCA-Cable-Coaxial-Networking/dp/B00DC8IEE6

C

ChGr

Audioholic Intern
Tried a powerline. Works fine. There's certainly a little measured degradation in speed but movies seem to stream fine at one of the remotes. I was hesitant about the MoCA since it appeared that I had to plug it in ahead of my router which, to me, seemed less secure (I'm no authority on internet security, though).

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Tried a powerline. Works fine. There's certainly a little measured degradation in speed but movies seem to stream fine at one of the remotes. I was hesitant about the MoCA since it appeared that I had to plug it in ahead of my router which, to me, seemed less secure (I'm no authority on internet security, though).
Using this on a cable system requires a block at the demarcation point, which is ahead of the modem. That prevents one person's internet service to be accessible to others in the area. The modem should be at the demarc anyway, and the router after it in a central point in the building, assuming that's what is providing WiFi. If WiFi isn't an option in the house because of distance or the materials used in its construction, MoCA can be a good option.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis