Powering LSiM's and possible future speakers.

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
Hey guys,

I appreciate the help I have received on this forum so far. Could I ask for a little more?

So I need to power a pair of LSiM 703 bookshelves. The sub that I got for them is a polk DSW 660. I may change that in the future.

I want to save money and get the best sound for my purposes, and I am guessing the best way to do this is to get some amp that only powers a 2.1 system.

So, what do I need? In addition, the amp should be able to power larger speakers. I will probably upgrade eventually. I don't want to have to get something totally different when that time comes.

What should I be looking for? What are some good options?

Thanks in advance for the advice guys. I know I'm super nooby. I apologize.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
For a 2.1 set up, the outlaw RR2150 is a good choice. It is a very good quality stereo receiver with bass management and it looks sharp: RR2150 Stereo Receiver

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
So MSRP on that amp is like $700. I'm not sure if I really have that kind of cash to throw around at this point.

So a few questions:

A. If I DO go for this amp, could it be my end all amp for a pretty nice system? Not perfect, but would it pretty much meet my needs for the foreseeable future? In other words, I'm not gonna have to go out and spend 1500 later to get real fidelity, am I?

B. Is there anywhere I can get this cheaper? If so, should I be particularly wary of second hand amps?

C. Is this amp a really good "bang for your buck" amp?

Thanks again for the suggestion!

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
(a) you will not have to spend more money for "real fidelity." this is a great stereo receiver, period.
(b) you can buy it b stock from outlaw; you'll have to check the website.
(c) I think the outlaw is good bang for the buck but there are less expensive products that will do a fine job of driving your speakers. The Harmon Kardon 3490 runs around $400 and it's a fine choice for a stereo receiver. I'd also check out the Onkyo TX 8050 which runs around $230. If you really want to save some money, I'd look for a manufacturer's refurbished product from accessories4less like this Denon DRA 397 for $149: DENON DRA-397 AM/FM Multi Source/Zone Stereo Receiver | Accessories4less.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What bikemig said. I don't think you're going to beat the RR2150 for power and quality for the price. The advantage it has over the other stereo receivers mentioned is it is the ONLY one with selectable bass management for the .1 channel. You could also find integrated amps from Marantz, NAD and Cambridge Audio that will give you solid performance, but again, no bass management

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
Guys.

I think on this one I'm going with what you suggested.

Looks awesome.

Good investment. Looks like I'll get return on my 700. 700 is NOT much to spend if I know it's gonna last me throughout my audio career.

Good company (not sure I like the way harmon does bidness, for instance) that I want to support.

Thanks guys. Totally psyched. It's just gonna take a while.

One more question. I had an old Onkyo 7.1 receiver from around 2003 or 4. I'm lending it to my friend right now (he's testing to determine if he wants to buy it). I said I was gonna charge him about 100 for it. I don't think it was a top of the line deal, but I was in my teens then, and I didn't know poop about audio or receivers (not that I do now)...

so....

I was gonna ask if that's a fair price, but I just realized I don't have the model number on me....

so consider this a notice that in the next day or so, I will be asking about the price I'm giving. Be warned! :)<

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis